A forum for banter...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    Well for starters you wouldn't have accused me of trying to ruin the site via PM before actually considering the fact that I might have been joking.
    Why do you feel the need to speak about our PM's on the forum? in fact, post them up now before i do, i've nothing to hide

The Dogfather
    Do as you feel Alan.

You asked me a question in this thread about why I felt something had changed, I answered it in this thread as you would expect me to. This is just about the fact that I made a joke and probably should have added a few smilies for the hard of humour.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Well for starters you wouldn't have accused me of trying to ruin the site via PM before actually considering the fact that I might have been joking.

I'm not party to what gets discussed behind the scenes but your (again) comment clearly indicates the fact that you believe I have an agenda against NMS.
    Do as you feel Alan.

You asked me a question in this thread about why I felt something had changed, I answered it in this thread as you would expect me to. This is just about the fact that I made a joke and probably should have added a few smilies for the hard of humour.
    So the only change you can think of is that i PM'd you
    Let me say it here then, you have a history of stirring the harmony of the site

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    Original poster
    Oh dear, gotcha, what a fud I am

Big Col departed in his blouse (car) sometime in 2009ish (me thinks). If you joined NMS in 2006 then I'm pretty sure you would have come across a 'LOT' of the big chap during those years and therefore knew all about his sense of humour (& since his comeback I see no change in him 'thankfully'). Back then we had quite a few 'strong' characters, some loved by many and a few lothed by others. Jings how many times did we have a great ol' spat with Bad Dog (feck!!!!!! him again ), Fiona, Wul, Gaj & Angus never forgetting Mini(Ian)Me in his full pomp
    I tend to agree with Mon in that society has become so thin skinned these days, whatever happened at being able to laugh at/with yourself. As far as I can see Big Col ain't changed a bit .................. maybe others have

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    But that's just it, the banter is still allowed at that level, we still have remarks where Burple replied to Col in this thread and is perfectly ok by me and more importantly almost everyone on the site.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I nearly left the site because of the bully by Angus a few years ago and you and me Crombers have had our "moments" over the years... I just prefer a "quieter" life as I come here for fun, runs and info. I get enough sheet in life without getting it here and I think we as Admins/Mods and Alan get it just about right re managing people's expectations.

If people want the slagging/fighting/bullying that you refer to as "banter" then I will happily accept that and move on and resign my admin status and delete myself from NMS.

Sick of this pish ... End of :(

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    But that's just it, the banter is still allowed at that level, we still have remarks where Burple replied to Col in this thread and is perfectly ok by me and more importantly almost everyone on the site.
    Yeah

& if the big fella came back to the wee fella with a 'sideswipe' would Ewan go in a huff .......... Nope !!!!

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I'm going to agree with William, Badwolf and Craig here.
    The 'Off Topic & Banter' thread is where the non-MINI stuff has its place, for laughs and daft stuff, music, whatever. My idea of 'banter' is general silliness between members, not cheap playground taunting. If Col is suggesting we have a thread for taking the p*ss and 'humorous' backbiting etc, I think that's a total waste of space. Do we need a toilet wall with derogatory scribbles on NMS? I don't think so. You only have to look at this thread and you can already see where this sort of thing will end up. One poster's idea of this sort of 'banter' can very easily be taken the wrong way, and it all ends up as handbags at ten paces. Personally I don't want to get to a stage where some folks might, for example, not attend a run because they've had a fall-out 'online' - WTF - how sad would that be?

Also, the idea that NMS has become some sort of Orwellian Big Brother entity controlled by the 'Thought Police' is a pile of sh*te. There have to be some controls over who posts what to keep things in order, and I think the mods do a pretty good job of it. Remember, this is a website for MINI enthusiasts, and the 'banter' is an interesting and generally enjoyable part of the deal, but if we accept that it's OK to post trashy comments about NMS members, whether they're made in jest or whatever, then as far as I'm concerned its slippery slope time, and it'll not only cheapen the atmosphere of the forums, but I'll bet real money that it'll take about 2 days for someone to get the hump with someone else for posting a smart-*rse personal comment, and it'll all kick off. I for one am on NMS because of the great atmosphere on the runs and on site, and anything which threatens that should get kicked into touch right away.

If you don't think NMS is as good as 'it used to be', or the banter's not up (or down, more like) to your level, then maybe you're on the wrong site. We all have plenty of real-world sh*t-stirrers to deal with every day of the week, so we don't need it on NMS, no matter how bleedin' funny you might think it is.
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 2nd April 2013 at 12:40 AM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    So the only change you can think of is that i PM'd you
    Its seems you want an argument with me over how the site is run, 99.99% of the time I don't think it could be run any better. Trust me if I felt something was wrong with the site I'd be posting about it, if I feel strongly about something I'm not shy in sharing my views.

I was just taken aback by the venom of your PM in reaction to what I thought was an obvious joke, in hindsight perhaps I should have just ignored the thread.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 2nd April 2013 at 12:18 AM.

It seems that we all agree then - humour & silliness are fine, to a point. Personal abuse is not. Seems reasonable and fair.

I have no issues with admin/mods on this site. However, I was once sent a PM by a mod asking me to delete a post. Another user had asked in the dealer section for advice on fitting a part (can't remember which one). I posted that most members would be able to do this quite easily, ask around and save yourself some money by not going to the dealers. Allegedly this post could upset the dealer!

Needless to say, I ignored the PM, and the post was never deleted

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs