z-flip head unit installation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Dogfather
    So you've lost all the info from the centre console display?

Very brave to attempt this but personally I'd cut your losses stick the original head unit back in and live with the poor sound as you'll never get the car looking right, that head unit looks totally out of place in the car. BTW if you can't put it back to the way it was you've wiped a grand of the value of your car, at least.

Borvad
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    So you've lost all the info from the centre console display?

Very brave to attempt this but personally I'd cut your losses stick the original head unit back in and live with the poor sound as you'll never get the car looking right, that head unit looks totally out of place in the car. BTW if you can't put it back to the way it was you've wiped a grand of the value of your car, at least.

The only info lost is the readouts from the radio stations and the clock.
    I appreciate negative comments but I'm sure theres a rule of 'each to their own'.

You may not like it but I'm sure theres lots out there that do, and as for it looking out of place in the car, the screen folds down and slides back so can be a standard normal looking radio if need be.....and for wiping a grand of the car, I'm pretty sure thats a slight exaggeration.....so again, the 'each to their own' rule.

The Dogfather
    There are ways and means to include a touchscreen and satnav into a car with a OEM system, the simplest is to use an iPad mini or similar small tablet in a floor mount via an Aux in (which the MINI has). You can then improve the sound via amps and speakers.

This way looks totally standard and it adds rather than detracting value.

BTW that grand is a conservative estimate. If by 'each to their own' means I've knackered my car then yeah, each to their own.

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    BIG MASSIVE PENDULOUS BRASS SPUDS! Kudos to you mate and to h£ll with the nay sayers. <kicks VB's high horse out from under him>

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Well, I admire you for taking you car to bits to change the dreadful existing stereo, but, the many negative comments regarding the facia clearly showed how bad it is.
    I know i wouldn't be happy that the carrier is clearly shown through that facia and it'll be interesting to see how you tidy that up

Can the screen get any closer to the speedo when the display is up? it seems to stick way out and i wonder if you can actually see it properly when driving

Borvad
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Well, I admire you for taking you car to bits to change the dreadful existing stereo, but, the many negative comments regarding the facia clearly showed how bad it is.
    I know i wouldn't be happy that the carrier is clearly shown through that facia and it'll be interesting to see how you tidy that up

Can the screen get any closer to the speedo when the display is up? it seems to stick way out and i wonder if you can actually see it properly when driving
    We are on it at the moment, think we have found a fascia intended for a VW or a Skoda that seems to the same shape. Fingers crossed.

As for the screen? Yeah I fiddled it last night and got it closer to the speedo and more of a friendly angle. I'd take a picture but I'm home in the dark and it doesnt come out that well.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Borvad View Post
    We are on it at the moment, think we have found a fascia intended for a VW or a Skoda that seems to the same shape. Fingers crossed.

As for the screen? Yeah I fiddled it last night and got it closer to the speedo and more of a friendly angle. I'd take a picture but I'm home in the dark and it doesnt come out that well.
    Good stuff and good luck

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    ...bigfor this...I would be as much use as a chocolate fire-guard if I undertook the task on hand.
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

mikeythemini
    From the facias I have seen I think you should have mounted the stereo in the dash (did the facia come with a metal bracket?)
    Then put the facia on & leave off the trim ring - no cage needed.