z-flip head unit installation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Borvad
    Following on from original post to query if this could be done, and hearing comments basically advising me not to........me and my 'audio' buddy have decided what the heck, and gone for it anyway.

Started Phase 1 today............

back seats removed to allow feed of the sub and amp wiring

start of the removal of the speedo

speedo and surrounding trim removal

original radio gone and speedo gone bye-bye for now

Phase 2 to be completed all going well tomorrow but the bluetooth and sat nav wiring is in.

My thoughts so far? As much as I love the radio I'm putting in that I've had in several of my cars, then when the sad day comes that the Mini moves to pastures new then the radio will definately go with it.
    Hopefully that will be a long long way away yet for the 'go-kart'
    Last edited by Borvad; 23rd March 2013 at 05:43 PM.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Very brave man ! Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Very brave man ! Looking forward to seeing the finished product
    What he says

Borvad
    No wonder I heard stories of quotes of £100's for labour alone!

Worth it when you have an 'audio' pal who will only charge cups of tea and for giving him a challenge.

lamdacore
    WOW that looks like alot of work....

Borvad
    COMPLETED!!

Phase 2 today.

Heres the radio, figuring out at this stage where to put the wires.

To say I'm not too happy with the adapted fascia panel which cost me around £140 would be an understatement. There wasn't enough room in the gap for a standard radio, so we had to adapt it with a power sander here :

As a result at the moment the finished product isnt aesthetically pleasing, you can see the radio cage and also the gap under the radio now has a temporary fix to it until we figure out what can be done on a more permanent basis.

It's certainly taken the 'gloss' off a good weekends work.

View of the cage here :

......and again here :

View through from the boot :

I'm in two minds whether to message the company who sent me the adapted fascia panel, first because of the hassle it gave us to make a STANDARD radio fit, and secondly they sent the wrong adapter to enable the incorporation of the steering wheel controls.

On the plus side, I now have a hands free kit and mp3/usb radio.
    Still to complete the installation of the subs and amps to the boot, and the drives for the sat-nav.
    At least the main job is done.

Dave

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Kudos for the fitment

MINIme:)
    crikey those first two pictures made me very nervous!

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Things I'd never even attempt in a MINI No. 247: Audio Bravery!
    I've had to have a lie down after looking at this thread It's why I like exhausts and things without the wire spaghetti

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Borvad
    Heres a small video clip, I doubt you would hear the sound difference compare to normal.