16" or 17" alloys ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mini Mad
    Car
    solid gold 2004 (BMW) MINI COOPER

im going to be getting a set of ROTA RB alloys but i can't make my mind up on what size to get :(

the alloys on my cooper are 16" they need refurbished plus i need to replace the tyres so i thought i'd just get a wheel and tyre package :)
    then get the mini alloys refurbished later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Get them in 17"s

I really wanted these for my GP but they wouldn't fit without spacers (due to the brakes). So I went for blitz instead

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Superb looking wheels. Either size will look great but I would go 16 for better ride and handling for the potholed roads I drive.
    Last edited by Duncan Stewart; 9th March 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    16 for me lighter and better handling
    New sig coming soon

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    17's for me, ....... nice 'boots' btw

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    From a driving point of view 16" for looks 17" it's your choice :)

For those wheels has to be 16's wrapped with plenty of rubber.
    Cooper Coupe...

MINIme:)
    interesting everyone says 16s as I pretty much identified that I MUCH preferred the feel on 17s and have never been happy with the handling on this car compared to when I've tested ones with 17 (or my last mini that was RF 16). But I can't afford to change wheels so I'm stuck where I am for now!
    nice wheels by the way

and where you been hiding?

Mini Mad
    Car
    solid gold 2004 (BMW) MINI COOPER
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post

and where you been hiding?
    just trying to get some money saved again after only working 3day per week for 4 months and people getting made redundant i was one of the lucky ones plus family stuff. but things are picking up again :)

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...l-gallery.html

the 16's do look better the 17's looks too stretched out for that style of wheel to me
    so i think i'll be getting the 16's

Having driven on standard Mini sizes with 15s, 16s and 17s (all non-runflat), I would say 16s on a Cooper and 17s on an S. I find the extra grip of the 17s quite noticeable though there's no doubt the extra weight is unpleasant on really rough roads - though the 17s' extra grip outweighs the loss of grip on bumps, they are less civilised. I've not driven a plain Cooper on 17s, but I doubt they would be as much of an advantage over 16s without the extra power.

If the priority was a car that was nice to drive, rather than ultimate grip, (ie, 95% of drivers?) 16s are definitely nicer.