0 miles to go

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In my experience the R53 doesn't over-estimate the remaining mileage - with 2 miles left, I once put 52 litres in. It's only supposed to hold 50 litres...

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Not urban myth Ken. I speak from the experience of friends who didnt take care. It was a few years ago so as Vidal says, filters may stop this from happening in newer cars.

I suppose it's just how your wired. I was always told "look after your car and it will look after you". So I check all my fluids ad tyre pressures once a week. Only takes 5 mins and means I know the car doesn't have any obvious issues

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Also not good a Girl alone at night even if there is a reserve! Your Mum would have given you a slap on the wrists
    Not just your Mum...
    Even having a wee 'emergency' 5L Petrol Can in the boot might be a good idea just in case you ever get 'caught short' again!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Indeed fuel filters have nearly always been on cars and debris from the fuel tank can work it's way along the lines.
    The fuel tank outlet pipe is usually higher than the bottom of the tank itself so it does offer some protection but, as the petrol sloshes about it raises teh debris off the bottom and then into your lines.

I've always done what Craig does, i never take any chances with fuel

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    I think when the miles to go meter flatlined it's basically the manufacturers saying 'look guv don't blame us'. I think they all still have a few litres left. I seem to remember on top gear a jag they had showed empty but when the engineers drained the tank it had enough diesel for another 40 miles.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I suppose it would make sense for manufacturers to have a few 'extra' miles in the tank, despite the 'electronic' reading being '0', as it would make sure you panicked and filled up BEFORE you were actually stranded!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

The Dogfather
    That Jag XJ had 120 miles left in it, from Basel to Blackpool on a single tank.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Col View Post
    I think when the miles to go meter flatlined it's basically the manufacturers saying 'look guv don't blame us'. I think they all still have a few litres left. I seem to remember on top gear a jag they had showed empty but when the engineers drained the tank it had enough diesel for another 40 miles.
    They done it with the big Audi as well and he did the round trip up to Scotland and back to the same garage. It did cough a few times but I remember him screaming “What is it running on”
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Has anyone run out of fuel in a D or SD? I don't even go close to empty as most diesels, if you run them out, need a recovery service to help you work out where the priming pump is (if there is one) to get the engine started again.

MINIme:)
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyR View Post
    I think I got 3 or 4 miles on 0, and about 5 on flatline

Just put it down as a lesson in how to drive very economically- bet you weren't racing between traffic lights!
    it gave me about 100yds on 0 before it flatlined! the car was still cold - does it eat more fuel when it's colder? I'm guessing it might. Also I was having to stop and start between a string of traffic lights and I doubt that helped. The guy in the garage said there must be 'the wrong type of hill' just round the corner as he regularly saw people coming round for a jerry can having come to a stop just round the corner!

I honestly didn't think I was taking a chance I thought I had enough to do the journey twice. I'm sure when it's been getting low before it has served me fine on 30 odd miles of fuel so I wasn't concerned and I didn't think I was cutting it fine. I was a bit confused getting in the car in the morning anyway as it smelled really strong of a sickly fruity smell inside the car. It still does. I have no idea what it is, I can only think Vardy used something. I don't like it at all though so if they did, I wish they hadn't. And I keep wondering if I've got a leak of something which is unnerving.

Watch out for swans Ken, they are well vicious!