0 miles to go

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MINIme:)
    so I got in the car this morning and thought - ooh not much fuel left but I'll make it easy on half that and fill up on the way home.

2 miles down the road the miles left in the tank jumped to half (going downhill?) - not looking quite so clever now...

dropping steadily.......have I got a leak or something?? not much I can do about driving style while rolling, crawling, occasionally driving through miles of motorway rush hour traffic, just fingers crossed!

made it anyway 8 miles left in the tank - bit of uphill or flat or something near the end and it started to creep back up and look more healthy!
    back in the car after work - 8 miles left and only about 2 miles to the nearest garage. cool

half a mile later it drops to 3miles left..... not liking the look of this so much! there's a few sets of traffic lights - - all bloody red of course. Uh oh, COME ON!!!
    0 miles left....Oh cr@p.

then
    _______________________ flatline on the miles to go gauge.......

what does that even mean??! Am I a ghost? Is the car going to explode? car appears to still be going, just get round the corner please......I have no real idea of whether this is bad for the car as I've never let it get really low, ever in 21yrs driving

anyway I made it by the power of fairies or something. thank god for that! I have never let any car get below about 10 miles (used to be a quarter tank hard times financially these days!!) Is this bad for the car at all or does it just kinda stop eventually? And how much is actually in the tank when it's flatlined??!

I'll be trying not to do that again.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Can't answer how much is in the tank when it says zero as I've never done that to cars I've owned. Far too many horror stories of crap being sucked up off the bottom of the tank and causing problems with fuelling etc. :(

Never run mine lower than quarter tank. In honesty I normally top the tank off once per week as it feels cheaper to me that way rather than running it Down to empty... It's all prob in my head re cheaper but I can keep a better eye on cash that way

poor thing, hope it's ok

I was a regular fortnightly event to fill up but been knocked off sync recently. Demands from work that mean I can no longer avoid the worst traffic time are messing with my fuel lastingness routine as well as my sanity too

ok lesson learned. Sorry little car.

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Can't answer how much is in the tank when it says zero as I've never done that to cars I've owned. Far too many horror stories of crap being sucked up off the bottom of the tank and causing problems with fuelling etc. :(

Never run mine lower than quarter tank. In honesty I normally top the tank off once per week as it feels cheaper to me that way rather than running it Down to empty... It's all prob in my head re cheaper but I can keep a better eye on cash that way
    I thought cars had fuel filters to stop that?

Anyhoo, I know that with the Mazda starts showing completely empty its still got at least 4 litres left. The MINI was the same, I’m not saying other cars will be though.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Once played Miles to go Lottery coming back from the Highland tour into Inverness wanting to fill up at the Shell garage there. Computer said 140 miles or something left from Thurso and the Sat Nav said something like 103 to the Garage. I had last filled up on the west cost in Ullapool.

Got to the last half hours drive and the Miles to go had jumped down close to the actual Sat-Nav miles to go. I got closer with actual 18 miles to go and the Computer said 27 mile on the range. Pulled in at the Shell station and it said 7 left in the range and that’s the lowest I’ve ever gone. Scary taking to 0.

Also not good a Girl alone at night even if there is a reserve! Your Mum would have given you a slap on the wrists

Your next adventure will be digging the car out of the snow....it's bad here on the Southside.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post

Anyhoo, I know that with the Mazda starts showing completely empty its still got at least 4 litres left. The MINI was the same, I’m not saying other cars will be though.
    I hope you're right and there is some sort of filter. Craig has got me a bit concerned! oh well I can't undo it I can only be more sensible in future - the biggest lesson was how much the numbers were fluctuating around and how quickly they were dropping - I've never watched closely enough before. I also don't pass a single petrol station on my way in to town and it's half an hour when it's clear but a lot longer in the morning. And just the one on my way home. It always irritated me that it started pinging at 70miles left, seemed like overkill...maybe I need to take notice!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Scary taking to 0.

Your next adventure will be digging the car out of the snow....it's bad here on the Southside.
    it had passed zero! it was showing -- -- --

damn, snow is such a pain unless its christmas and youre sitting on your sofa looking out at it thinking it's pretty. (Or you ski) No snow here yet really just a sprinkling - usu much worse here than in glasgow. Hmmm, i'll psyche myself up for the morning then... thanks for the warning.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post

I can recall a white R53 with red vipers managing 20 plus miles when on 0/flatline on a run back some years ago.
    There is always a safety net built in & as long as yer not daft you will avoid the cough/splutter

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Quote Originally Posted by Crombers View Post
    I can recall a white R53 with red vipers managing 20 plus miles when on 0/flatline on a run back some years ago.
    There is always a safety net built in & as long as yer not daft you will avoid the cough/splutter
    let's hope so! I'll pretend there isn't one and attempt not to get into the same situation again! If the garage at west street had been shut I'd have been a bit stuffed!

Resident old yin.
    I wondering if the, getting bits being sucked into your fuel line is an urban myth? I've been told this many times over the years but have never spoken to anyone that this has happened to.

I've never met anyone who has had their arm broken by a swan either!

I usually fill up when I hit one blob on the gauge.

LadyR
    something very similar happened to me, don't know how reassuring that is tho...
    I can understand your range going up and down since I gather it uses how you're driving, so if you started driving more economically, your range will increase, but I think I got 3 or 4 miles on 0, and about 5 on flatline - traumatic thinking I might breakdown on the Lochness road!!

Just put it down as a lesson in how to drive very economically- bet you weren't racing between traffic lights!