Protectin' da paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    H'ok. The new motor will be getting collected shortly and I've asked the dealer to do hee haw to it as I'll do it mesel. I had been intending to apply the supagard coating that I have, however, thought I might as well ask you gee...eh...knowledgeable people if I should opt for summat else?

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Ooh, let's see, hmm, yep, got it, gritty sponge and fairy liquid and defo the one bucket method
    My work here is done, another satisfied customer

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    ^^^^^ Pmsl

Sorry no help :) Ian king is your best man to ask
    New sig coming soon

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Supaguard... Nooooooooo!!!!

Give the paintwork a good cleanse, then a couple of coats of good quality wax.

I guess the more astute detailers may have more detailed advice but, please, no supaguard.

I used to swear by the stuff, but with the support of the MINI community I've seen the error of my ways. I'm a new man.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

What is so wrong with Supaguard that everyone hates it so much.
    I am just really getting into cleaning my car, it's the first car I have had that I have been interested in enough to bother about in a detailing way.

Just I think that my car will have Supaguard applied. So if its that bad, is it easy to remove.
    LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Where is Mr. King hiding then?

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam1314 View Post
    What is so wrong with Supaguard that everyone hates it so much.
    I am just really getting into cleaning my car, it's the first car I have had that I have been interested in enough to bother about in a detailing way.

Just I think that my car will have Supaguard applied. So if its that bad, is it easy to remove.
    Tam, if you've done anything other than use Supaguard's shampoo, and done anything other than their monthly conserver treatment - it's gone already. If you've waxed it or polished it or even used a waxy shampoo, it's very likely gone already. Supaguard is simply a polymer based coating - microns thick - and to be honest, even after a year or so of simply washing the car - I can't see it still being on the car's paintwork.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    My lease car is "protected" with supaguard, because i can be penalised for returning it with defective paint after the 3 year term you can insure against it, which i did, their treatment is supaguard gone by now in the rain, certainly not by washing and no come back on me.................watch this space

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Right a bit more time now

I would foam the car then wash the car with some G101 autosmart or similar it's a de greaser
    Then iron ex or similar
    Foam ,wash and dry
    Then polish
    Foam and dry
    Wax couple coats

Hope this helps :)
    New sig coming soon

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Everyone has their own methods that work for them, I don't have a foam wash so already I am beaten by Stoney

For our Countryman:

Like you I asked them not to touch it. Washed it, then stripped all the wax etc with APC. Washed it again and dried it. Clayed it, then washed it and dried. Then put on Megs show glaze No 7 as recommended by Mr King (great stuff) then covered with two coats of Collinite 476. Washed it twice since we got it and had it up and down to Glasgow and Perth twice and the beading is absolutely incredible still! I washed it for the 3rd time yesterday and got some great comments (for a change) from the neighbours.
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.