Fuel cap removal

LadyR
    How do you get the fuel cap bit (jut the silver bit if at all possible) from the r56 S?? I want to get it done gloss black but poking at it hasn't worked...is it possible?!

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Pretty sure you have to take the wheel off then remove the carpet arch liner.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Sorry this is off another site but it could give you an idea what is involved Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by NickS View Post
    After a few days of searching the World Wide Web i still couldn't find a retrofit guide to putting an S Fuel cap onto a MINI Cooper!!! (GRRR). So here is my straight forward guide
    for anyone who wants rid of their standard filler cap.

1. Jack up your passenger side rear wheel and remove

2. Ensure that your front wheels have been 'Chock'ed' to stop it rolling forward

3. Within the wheel Arch remove the two standard plastic retaining screws that you can see directly infront of you, unscrew and pull out

4. Within the wheel Arch remove the black plastic nut with a 10mm socket that is at the 12 o clock position holding the lining (Youll need to bob your head in the arch to see)

5. Peel back the lining onto itself and wedge behind the disk brake, (Youll not damage the brake or the lining!)

6. Pop your head inside the arch now the lining is removed from view and you should see this retaining bolt holding the fuel pipe secure:

7. Remove or Loosen the bolt with the 10mm socket (I found it easier to fully remove)

8. Open your standard fuel flap and use a screw driver or stanley blade to cut around the soft rubber thats tight against the fuel neck (I used a screw driver)

9. After cutting fully remove the soft rubber away from the standard filler cap (there should now be a gap between the hard plastic and the bodywork)

10. Within the gap youve now created get your fingers between the bodywork and hard plastic and pull towards your body (Its not instant and may take a few attempts)

11. HOPEFULLY! You will now be left with something that looks like this:

12. Twist off the gromet from your old fuel cap (This is what helps the actuator locate the hole to lock your cap when the car is locked)

13.Take your new 'S' cap (Without the painted insert) and push back into the location. I found it easier to place the hinge at 12 o clock and then turn to the left 9 o clock

14. While doing so, push the rubber gromet and actuator pin back together (IF YOU FIND THIS TOO TRICKY SEE STEP 23)

15. Prise the new rubber seal back over the filler neck with a screwdriver

16. Once it looks like its in position firmly push towards the car so the filler cap seats itself within the body work.

17. Open the new chrome fuel flap and slide your colour coded surround over the top (Its clear which way it goes as it has the cut out for the actuator pin assembly)

18. Push the colour surround into place, it should simply 'click'

19. Now you need to put back the Bolt from STEP 7 tightly

20. Re locate the inner wheel arch lining to normal position and put back bolt from STEP 4 and retaining screws from STEP 3

21. Put your wheel back on (PLEASE TIGHTEN YOUR WHEEL NUTS!! )

22. Clean the bodywork area you have been working on and stand back and marvel at how brilliant you are!!:

23.EXTRA STEP (If like me you couldnt locate the actuator pin and gromet together!! :wall: )

24. Remove the Chrome surround from your back left light cluster

25. Remove the x3 torx screws holding the light in place

26. Uncouple the light from the wiring (the big green connector block)

27. Shine a torch into the recess of bodywork and youll see the actuator pin and the newly fitted fuel cap

28. Bend the Pin so it now fits into the fuel cap hole

29. Test that the car locks + fuel flap!!

30. Refit the light - JOB DONE!!
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I was just gonna say all that

LadyR
    You know all I did...
    (1-asked Mr Allan)
    2- popped out a tiny hinge on the top inside bit of the fuel cap
    3- twisted off the silver bit!

It's in for painting now, gloss black then that's me done with messing for a while. Thanks for the information though, glad i didn't have to take off the whole thing, what a faff!

LadyR
    Like my technical terms there? :)

Car
    F56 Cooper
    lol I should have read that right I thought you wanted the whole thing off....
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!