Going independent with the next Service!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Hi lads and lasses.

Was quoted for a full service including all plugs, filters, oil etc is £190 plus VAT on my MINI Cooper (57 plate). I’m planning on keeping it at least till the end of next summer and its now not under TLC. So going independent that a few on here have used with there MINI’s. I just want to trust the right grade of oil and plugs etc are used.

Is this the going rate? I think my Honda was around £140 but that was five years ago so I imagine its not too bad. All the Free TLC kind of got me out of the whole price for service thing.

I also asked about my front pads that are showing 4K left but the Independent I thought was genuine when saying “With regards to your brake enquire showing 4000 mile until service, this is only a guide to have a visual inspection on the brakes as the wear time will depend on what type of driving has covered you mileage (eg all motorway) When your brake pads reach around 90% worn the wear indicator will come on, this is your handbrake light which will stay on and will not beep like it does when the handbrake is left on. When the wear light is on you will tend to have 1500 miles left in the pads before they completely wear out.”

So I don’t think they are needing done just yet!

The independent is deutschtek in Glasgow that deals in German cars mainly. I know Martin got his chain fitted there and was happy. Anyone else used them? I’ve also got to check my old independent that serviced my Honda for eight years and family cars before that but I’m thinking the other place may be better suited with it being BMW and may actually plug it to see if everything is ok. I don’t know do you tune cars these days like you had to years back even with a laptop?

Any thoughts/advice welcome.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Stewart; 21st November 2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    The Independant I use (and have used for 20 plus years) is amazing. Very well priced, never any issues with their work and they service cars properly

They are in Longcroft so not in Glasgow Stewart but let me know if you want their derails. They service my Punto, Kia and my old JCW . They have equipment to read all cars and reset err codes and service indicators

MINIme:)
    you already know who I used to use with my One.

The Dogfather
    A lot of independents take greater care over servicing than main dealers, the local garage that I used for my MINI fixed a couple of pieces of trim that I never found the time to sort out. No charge obviously.

Been meaning to see whether they can service the van, its needing a brake fluid change this month.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 19th November 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Always hated this time of year as the MOT comes up as the car was registered on the 31st December 2007, Road Tax follows and to mix it up this year probably a service.

The car was last serviced at the main dealer August 2011 before I went away on holiday up north to the Lodge. It got Engine oil, Brake Fluid, Spark plugs and filters. This was all done at over 24K miles. The car is sitting on just over 31K miles, so I could in reality leave it to early next year after the winter. The only thing the car got this year was a top up around August of a 1ltr at the dealers as it was borderline minimum on the dip stick.

Harking back to my Dad who was a stickler for his yearly service.
    Last edited by Stewart; 21st November 2012 at 04:22 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!