How many MINI's can 2 police cars stop?????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniSnaps View Post
    You're boasting about driving at more than three times the speed limit? How old are you, 17?

http://m.scotsman.com/news/internati...ings-1-2582563

i think this is a bit different he was drunk and on drugs

and also if you look at the you tube video you can see the size of the road you trying to tell me you have never driven way to fast ??
    New sig coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    i think this is a bit different he was drunk and on drugs

and also if you look at the you tube video you can see the size of the road you trying to tell me you have never driven way to fast ??
    I can honestly say that no, I've never driven at 75mph over the speed limit, and doing so in convoy like that beggars belief. The width of the road is immaterial, there's obviously a reason that the limit is in place.

Tbh I'm amazed that you're condoning this.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Not condoling it at all it is there choice to drive how they wish to drive we all do daft things from time to time and all like to have some fun in are cars

And I never said have you driven 75moh over the limit all I said is have you never done any thing stupid in your time and the ans will be yes as we all take risks now and then
    New sig coming soon

Not condoling it at all it is there choice to drive how they wish to drive we all do daft things from time to time and all like to have some fun in are cars

And I never said have you driven 75moh over the limit all I said is have you never done any thing stupid in your time and the ans will be yes as we all take risks now and then
    But that's what they're doing in the video, a convoy of cars doing 70+ mph over a 35mph speed limit. Taking risks is fine, if that's how you get your kicks, but it's not fine if you kill another motorist because they're expecting you to be travelling at 35 and you're doing three times that?

Have you ever seen the result of of an impact between a car doing that sort of speed and another motorist who expected them to be driving at 30? I have, and it was absolute carnage.

That was one car hitting another, I shudder to think what the outcome would be if the lead car in that convoy was involved in an incident, highly unlikely that the rest would be able to avoid it.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Is there a reason why there's a 35mph limit on this particular road? There are certainly parts which look capable of taking much higher speeds, but also some bendy bits which might not. So it's maybe a case that the powers that be have slapped a blanket limit on the whole road to avoid confusion. This can either be seen as an money-making authoritarian over-reaction, or that they're fed up scraping bits of people off the tarmac...

I think very few of us can truthfully say we've never 'pushed it' on the road. I know I've done some daft things in my time and certainly exceeded the speed limit on 'a few' occasions - but hopefully most of my 'incidents' have occurred where it has been comparatively safe to do so (well-sighted roads, very low volume of traffic, good weather conditions etc), where the only person I'm liable to wipe out is myself. I must admit though, the older I get, the more I try to choose where and when to 'open the taps'. I know from experience the more you do it, the greater the chance that you're going to run out of luck or have a major 'Talent Failure' half way round a tightening bend. I also know that when you're with a group of like-minded enthusiasts, it's incredibly easy to get 'caught up in the moment' and things can get very silly very quickly. I'd like to say that NMS runs are pretty well-behaved, with just the right balance between fun and safety... and Fish & Chips!

I can't condone thoughtless stupidity or careless driving, but I also recognise (in myself) that it's quite difficult to be 'good' all the time when you have a car which is set up to go (and stop) quickly, and feels damn good while it's doing its thing. It really comes down to a judgement call by the individual and a bit of a 'what if' thinking before you push the throttle that last couple of inches.

Last edited by ELFMAN; 17th October 2012 at 12:02 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Is there a reason why there's a 35mph limit on this particular road? There are certainly parts which look capable of taking much higher speeds, but also some bendy bits which might not. So it's maybe a case that the powers that be have slapped a blanket limit on the whole road to avoid confusion. This can either be seen as an money-making authoritarian over-reaction, or that they're fed up scraping bits of people off the tarmac...

I think very few of us can truthfully say we've never 'pushed it' on the road. I know I've done some daft things in my time and certainly exceeded the speed limit on 'a few' occasions - but hopefully most of my 'incidents' have occurred where it has been comparatively safe to do so (well-sighted roads, very low volume of traffic, good weather conditions etc), where the only person I'm liable to wipe out is myself. I must admit though, the older I get, the more I try to choose where and when to 'open the taps'. I know from experience the more you do it, the greater the chance that you're going to run out of luck or have a major 'Talent Failure' half way round a tightening bend. I also know that when you're with a group of like-minded enthusiasts, it's incredibly easy to get 'caught up in the moment' and things can get very silly very quickly. I'd like to say that NMS runs are pretty well-behaved, with just the right balance between fun and safety... and Fish & Chips!

I can't condone thoughtless stupidity or careless driving, but I also recognise (in myself) that it's quite difficult to be 'good' all the time when you have a car which is set up to go (and stop) quickly, and feels damn good while it's doing its thing. It really comes down to a judgement call by the individual and a bit of a 'what if' thinking before you push the throttle that last couple of inches.

what I was trying to say but much better put
    New sig coming soon

what I was trying to say but much better put
    Rob, you're the MP3 and I'm the vinyl! But we're playing the same tune...

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I don’t condone silly speeds, hay I’m Capt slow after all but I understand part of the problem there in the states. I still fancy doing route 1 down the east coast of the states and its upper limit is 55MPH on the highway, however for long stretches its upper limit is no more than 25MPH and when you take a look yes it’s a road between towns but its like one of our 60MPH roads up in the highlands. Motorway/Interstates are a bit different going by what state but climbs to 70MPH but the Highways can come under some really low speeds.

Although going at 110MPH is a bit aggressive but I’m sure it was in short duration. But when I read the speed limit of 35MPH I had an idea it would be just like the coast road that's tens of miles of empty open road falling under under an unusual low speed limit.

Last edited by Stewart; 17th October 2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

bigcoyote
    If I can add - "most" of our members are law abiding citizens and stay fairly close to the speed limit at "most" times. Even the 3 MINI's that got "Motoring Awards" from the State Troopers were doing less then 20MPH over the speed limit. The one that was going over 100 was in between the two packs and running alone - we didn't have 30 MINI's running 100+ MPH up a very twisty mountain road..... ( I just mentioned it for the sake of the story - not trying to brag ) . We are not all maniacs , but we do like to "push it" a little when we can.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcoyote View Post
    If I can add - "most" of our members are law abiding citizens and stay fairly close to the speed limit at "most" times. Even the 3 MINI's that got "Motoring Awards" from the State Troopers were doing less then 20MPH over the speed limit. The one that was going over 100 was in between the two packs and running alone - we didn't have 30 MINI's running 100+ MPH up a very twisty mountain road..... ( I just mentioned it for the sake of the story - not trying to brag ) . We are not all maniacs , but we do like to "push it" a little when we can.
    I totally understand where you're coming from.
    As I said, most of us do 'give it some beans' from time to time. There's very little point having one of the best cars on the planet if you never actually tap into what they have to offer, but it's up to us and our common sense to weigh up the 'pros and cons' as to where and when we do it.