Looking to buy a Cooper S

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    MINIme:)
    Hi Nick,
    definitely worth driving an R56 and an R53 to compare them. I'm not on your territory having had an R50 One and an R56 Cooper but they are worlds apart. To be honest I miss the drive feel of the R50 like mad. And yeah I think it's the early R56 that had more build/mechanical problems rather than the R53. You're gonna have to try driving both as it might make a big difference to your decision.
    Have you looked into whether you can retrofit heated seats? If you would really miss it it might be worth pricing if it's possible so you cna factor it in. Unusual spec is a bit of a rarity. I gave up looking for a sunroof and had to spec a new car to get what I really wanted spec wise!

Test Passed
    Car
    golf gti edition 30
    Yeah mate I have found you have to sacrifice something when looking for your perfect spec, or the one you want is in deep Englandshire.

I guess I could lose the bumwarmers, and look to retrofit later. Which reminds me of more questions...

I've read retrofitting MFSW buttons to a 3 spoke wheel is a bit of a mare?

And changing the head unit on an R56, I wouldn't know where to start
    Not a problem if the head unit charges the iPod simultaenously when playing, but if not I want my own Alpine iPod in there

Car
    R58 2012 JCW Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
    And changing the head unit on an R56, I wouldn't know where to start
    Not a problem if the head unit charges the iPod simultaenously when playing, but if not I want my own Alpine iPod in there
    Not sure you can change the head unit in the R56 as its slightly different to the older shape, having the speedo built within the buttons for the stereo. I could be wrong, just couldn't work out where you'd get a different CD player to sit.... As for controlling your iPod. My old Mini (R56 shape) had only an aux port so it couldn't be controlled through my steering wheel or controls, only the iPod itself could control it. You'd need iPod cable fitted(normally in the glovebox). The newer R56s have aux and USB so with one cable you can control your iPod but they may be little out of your price range.

IMO I think for what you want and want to do to your Mini an R53 is your best option. Can change stereo easily, and probably cheaper to fit heated feature for your seats and R53 would be cheaper so you'd get better spec....
    eTune'd Mini JCW Coupe

Leanne :) xo

Test Passed
    Car
    golf gti edition 30
    Does the R56 with iPod compatibility charge whilst playing though?

These are the 4 Minis I am considering at the moment

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/2?logcode=p No MFSW

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...-fsh/112021285 Ireland

http://www.easternwestern.co.uk/used...78852/2721821/ Edinburgh

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...pgrades/780912 Preston
    Which would you choose and why?

Early/high-mileage R56's are having lots of problems - turbo issues that aren't resolved, the coke issue, etc.

The R53 problems are relatively well known - PAS pump can go etc, so I would agree with Craig on this.

Also depends what you want from a car. On every measurable level, the R56 is better (cost, power etc). But the R53 just 'feels' better to drive, makes you smile more IMO.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I'm with Craig, if i was in the market for a used S i'd be looking for a well specced as late as possible R53 Supercharged S, so that's 2006.
    I'd rather have the JCW upgrade for the power over standard, but, you could easily go the mod route to achieve the same.

2 of your choices caught my eye, the Ireland one and the one on Piston heads, both well modded but perhaps too old at 2004, only drawback for me would be going to Ireland and then getting UK plates etc, but, for the right car it may be worthwhile.

Test Passed
    Car
    golf gti edition 30
    And for the wrong car it's a real PITA, sellers often forget about negatives in the adverts, conveniently.

Oh and lol at the salesmans explanation of the squeaking windows "that's just dirt mate"

Car
    R58 2012 JCW Coupe
    I'd say the Edinburgh one as its newer and would have 12 months MOT & warranty... But limited with cd change / iPod stuff that you were asking about...
    eTune'd Mini JCW Coupe

Test Passed
    Car
    golf gti edition 30
    and it's an early r56 to prone to problems? i know it has warranty but i dont want to go all that way to find squeaky windows etc

Car
    R58 2012 JCW Coupe
    and it's an early r56 to prone to problems? i know it has warranty but i dont want to go all that way to find squeaky windows etc
    My last mini was a 2008 and had no major issues until.... My turbo went then the replacement went... Just out of warranty as well. I got goodwill but only because of my custom. But doesn't every car have good ones and bad ones? My friends 2008 had zero issues ... So chance you take with a used car...

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I can check it out for you if you want? I'm an eastern customer and work in town....
    eTune'd Mini JCW Coupe