R56 JCW power mods and re-maps

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    this has been moved from the GP thread please carry on with the discussion here
    Stoney and the Mod team

Quote Originally Posted by Alex from NM View Post
    Too many stickers, too few seats, too little power, too big a cost. No thanks. If you consider Evolve are doing warrantied upgrades to a standard S to 270bhp for £2.3k its hard to justify.)
    If I factor in the £800 + fitting I've already spent on my Downpipe and Intercooler (say a grand all in for argument's sake), P-Torque could give me around 250bhp for quite a lot less less than a total of £2.3K Alex. I think P-Torque take the S up to 250 (depending on 'Cooler etc) and the JCW up to 270-ish (with its stronger engine internals) - with a commensurate increase in Torque. Power and Torque can of course upset the balance a bit on certain roads/surfaces (which is why I'm still swithering!), but I think the hardware on the GP could have handled a decent power hike without too many problems. That's if you believe MINI are giving an accurate power figure. They might have one eye on Insurance levels etc...
    Last edited by stoney; 13th September 2012 at 03:18 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    R58 2012 JCW Coupe
    <A bit closer to the truth would be to accept that a remapped JCW should see just under 240bhp once mapped>

My JCW Coupe is an example of this. Only a stage 1 map on it... not sure if that helps
    eTune'd Mini JCW Coupe

Leanne :) xo

Car
    F56 Cooper
    So the Elf has been played with, wait that came out wrong. I was thinking on some of the over takes on the run coming back it had more power than I thought an S would have. Most ferocious MINI I’ve been in was Mr A’s works over the Dukes as it felt like a rocket and your S felt just as quick.

Does this BHP not get to a limit where the power is lost through the front wheels. I'd hate to think of what a 270bhp Mini drives like as I just have this picture of massive oversteer with all the power.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    R56 S in Dark Silver. Oh Yeah.
    Oh aye, for the 2.3k you get a bit of kit like. I notice no engine internals or clutch/gearbox mods are included so I would be a bit skeptical about how long the car would last still

Package 1 - 270 bhp and 290 ft/lb torque:

• Garret GT28/60RS Ball Bearing Turbo
    • minicraft S/S de-cat down pipe
    • minicraft OEM manifold conversion
    • Elbow and clamps
    • Oil and water pipes and fittings
    • minicraft cone air filter with front bumper CAI
    • Greddy electronic boost controller (in car adjustable)
    • Alta boost port adapter on map sensor
    • Custom map on rolling road of OEM ECU

Cost:

Drive in/drive out: £2,325 plus vat

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Sorry this has gone so , but if you're thinking of remapping the new GP, it is relevant...

Just as a 'Postscript' to the "who's quoting What?" debate
    , here's the PTorque advert from a recent Modern MINI mag:

Also link to EVOLVE's article Re. the R56 S (not JCW) : http://www.evolveautomotive.com/mini...5-r56-r57_749/
    They're quoting 240BHP/290 Torque for their 'Stage 4', the 'Stage 5' upgrade adds an Intercooler and presumably gives more power...

So just to let folks know I wasn't imagining the figures!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PT GIF.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	3761 I can't get this to come out properly... maybe someone can assist?

Anyway, the PTorque ad states S - up to 250BHP/270lbs/ft, JCW - up to 280BHP/300lbs/ft
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pt ad.jpg  
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 13th September 2012 at 09:03 AM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Resident old yin.
    270 BHP from a 1.6 litre engine seems like fantasy to me! Porsche Cayman 261 BHP, Tuned Focus ST with 2 litre turbo-charged engine, 250 BHP...

If 180 - 190 BHP for the S seems right, which it does to me given that that is only about a 3% measurement error from the "real" figure from MINI, why would "when we look at what they say the JCW is showing as 'standard', it's possibly a different story" seem believable?

Is there some romantic notion that the JCW has some hidden power that MINI is keeping secret? If insurers etc. ever got wind of this, MINI would be "for it". There is no way a reputable company would risk this.

^^ power is nothing without control. Increasing power without first improving the suspension and brakes is foolish IMO.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Waito
    I've read some good reviews about evolve. Anyone use their maps?

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Waito View Post
    I've read some good reviews about evolve. Anyone use their maps?

nope but i know a few that have used P torque and highly recommend them
    New sig coming soon

Waito
    Thanks, I'm not sure if p torque do a handset with your standard map though, I'd prefer a handset to flash back if the car ever needed warranty work