Timing Chain tensioner - major oil leak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Had a serious problem with my S a few months ago. Don't want to discuss exact details of my experience online but feel I need to warn other R56 owners.

It starts with a slight oil leak from the drivers end of the engine - hard to tell where it is coming from because it drips onto the timing chain and driveshaft throwing it all over that end of the engine.
    However it can change from a drip to a massive oil leak in just a few miles. The timing chain tensioner fails and it's high pressure oil feed will pump out all your oil in just a few miles. The oil warning light will come on and you must stop Immediately -do not continue to find a safe place to stop. The car will say how far you have driven between the light coming on and stopping - if it is a few miles then there may be warranty issues.
    The oil comes out so quickly it is possible to damage the engine internals. The mess it causes is unbelievable as it pours out through the drivers wheel and is thrown all over the car.

All worked out OK for me - JCs in Dundee handled the warranty people and fixed up my S, then gave me a great trade in against my new Coop

Found a few threads about in on North American Motoring - seems to be common problem

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...-oil-leak.html

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...-oil-leak.html

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Wow, not so good

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    No not good at all but at least you have got rid of it now
    New sig coming soon

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Stewart View Post

It starts with a slight oil leak from the drivers end of the engine - hard to tell where it is coming from because it drips onto the timing chain and driveshaft throwing it all over that end of the engine.
    Good of you to post this information Duncan. Did you mean that it drips onto the timing chain? I thought the timing chain was internal to the engine?

Definitely worthwhile for people to be aware to look for this. However it looks like it happens so fast that its too late before you know anything about it. Is there a known reason for this to happen? Sounds like another issue with this engine that MINI should be doing something about, but probably won't until owners are affected!

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    This is related to the issue with the N16 engine where the timing chain tensioner fails....

This got fixed by the newer N18 engine in late 2010 from memory ...

Glad they got it sorted for you Duncan but this is why I'll never buy an early R56S :(

Car
    R56 S in Dark Silver. Oh Yeah.
    Pleased you're sorted Duncan. The S engine really is not that good in many respects. This is a new one that I've never come across before though

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Good of you to post this information Duncan. Did you mean that it drips onto the timing chain? I thought the timing chain was internal to the engine?

Definitely worthwhile for people to be aware to look for this. However it looks like it happens so fast that its too late before you know anything about it. Is there a known reason for this to happen? Sounds like another issue with this engine that MINI should be doing something about, but probably won't until owners are affected!
    Timing chain has a cover over it but don't think its considered an internal part of the engine. Guess its mainly the drive shaft that throws it around the engine bay

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Timing chain isnt internal so to speak but it is behing a sealed cover and has a flow of oil around it from the main engine oil to keep it lubricated.

This is pretty horrific Duncan. Did your car need a complete engine change or were they able to rebuild it with you switching it off straight away.

So from reading this you have changed your car to a cooper then?

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post

So from reading this you have changed your car to a cooper then?
    Lol see the gallery
    New sig coming soon

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Jeez Duncan, I didn't know about this - no wonder you went back to the COOPER What year was your S?
    I had the Timing Chain 'fix' carried out on mine ages ago at Douglas Park MINI, so hopefully it's OK now...

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!