Loss of power on accelleration

Jgourlay4
    Hi guys, I have an 07 cooper. During this week I noticed as I am accellerating there is a drop in power from 2200/2300rpm. Hoping this isn't the turbo or engine gubbed. Has anyone else had this problem or knows what it could be before my husband (ex Honda tech) starts to strip it and I have to drive a Caterham in this awful weather!

Cheers
    Jen
    Last edited by Jgourlay4; 23rd June 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    It's it's a Cooper it won't be the turbo due to them being N/A.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Jgourlay4
    Ok, so it must have a variable valve control thing or something then which isn't working. Any ideas? Husb checked the air filter and some other bits and pieces this afternoon. He also discovered that a clamp that holds a fuel pipe has been taken out and not put back in so has been rubbing against something and damaged the cable. Was prob done when they had the gearbox replaced due to 2nd gear syncro being out. Bloody Friday car!! :(

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    If its a cooper D it has a turbo but cooper petrol doesnt.

Jgourlay4
    It's a petrol, so it must be a vvc engine to give it that extra boost of power then. I thought it was a wee turbo, but obviously not (which my husband confirmed when he had a look for anything out of the ordinary), so must be a vvc or something similar. However, I'm not on here to find out what's in my car engine bay, but what is wrong with it. Something isn't working as it should.....has anyone else experienced this, or know what it could be?

Cheers
    Jen

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    They dont have VVC on an 07.

Could be a coding issue as that can happen on an S and JCW (happened on both of mine) and its like the power cuts off for asecond when accelerating hard.
    Has to go to the dealer to get recoded on the machine.

Jgourlay4
    Ach, bugger. Trying to keep away from the dealer as they've already fecked something on my car. Hopefully it's just a simple thing like that then and not a prob like the engine is about to blow up on me!

Gorbash12346
    i'm assuming it's an early R56 Mini?

if it's a cooper engine first thing to check is the oil level as low oil affects the pressure leading to the variable valve gear and can slow and even stop it's movement if it gets too bad. and ends up logging fault codes for the vanos adjustment
    the other fairly common fault is the cat collapsing on the exhaust manifold causing a blockage and making the car very sluggish.

Jgourlay4
    Thanks for your reply. I got my husband to have a better look, said the valves looked a little scored but nothing too serious and thought it might be a piston prob but didn't strip down the bottom end to check, he gave it an oil change as it was needing one anyway. It still had the problem and I ended up trading it in for a brand new golf. On the day I placed the order the mini started working again, although still a little jerky at the 2300rpm mark but better than it was. Typical! Between then and picking up my new car it was like brand new again. Hubby thinks it may have been some crap built up in a variable valve (or something similar as it def had a kick to it similar to the Toyota vvc engines) and the new oil helped it break down and help it start working again. I hadn't run the car any longer between recommended oil changes and I had been making sure oil was topped up (it had been using more than normal for a while). I really don't trust the long life plans, 10k oil changes ftw.