Facebook & NMS

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 Cooper
    To be honest I only used the NMS FB page to monitor what was going on when the site was down. I prefer to come on the site and be on a proper forum. FB has its place to catch up with friends but I also limit myself on public FB space, especially when your full name is broadcast.

Although I do understand Joe Blog is free to join here and view every page much the same as on FB.

I cant see any linked pages from the forum so its not duplicating them to mirror the web site.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I understand everyone's concerns about the face book connection.
    The only way to link posts to FB is by selecting the Publish To Facebook check box in the lower right of any message box. If you do not select it then nothing will appear on your FB wall and thus link it to NMS.

Of course, i've had to open the site up to unregistered users to allow the connection, what this mainly does is to allow the FB bots to crawl over the site and hopefully advertise the site, but, obviously does allow guests to view the site also.
    The end result here is that we get more people joining to increase the member base.

The costs to run NMS are met totally by me, with the odd sponsorship on the web site from clickable links.
    There are 2 insurance companies currently on NMS who pay when an NMS member takes out a policy, but, i can't remember the last time i received any kind of payment from them.

This is not a begging letter, but, i have to try and cover my costs somehow.

With the FB connection NMS moves into the next generation of social networking and opens its door to millions of potential members and that's something i feel we must try to harness.

I can show NMS slipping down the stat charts, new members are dropping, posts are dwindling, actual log ons each day are dropping, NMS is in decline
    We can keep going like this until we get the hard core folks who post left and just speak amongst ourselves, or we try to broaden the forums as much as we can.

Sorry if this appears to be over the top, no one has NMS at their heart more than me, so, hopefully people understand.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I understand Alan's concerns, as he's ostensibly 'carrying the can' as far as NMS is concerned.

I was wondering though that is the fact new members are dropping possibly linked to something that's been flagged up before, ie that MINI is no longer the 'domain' of enthusiasts, and therefore we can't expect someone to be interested in a MINI club and its activities just because they own a MINI. Hence although/because MINI is more 'popular/mainstream' these days, the proportion of enthusiasts is actually lower? Is expanding the numbers who can view the site actually going to increase membership/useage/financial sustainability - that would seem to be the plan, and will this halt the 'decline' that Alan rather worryingly mentioned?

Personally, I don't want to be negative about the changes before I actually understand their implications and in that regard I have to be honest - I'm not sure how Facebook etc works, as I've never felt the need to use it, so I'm not sure of any of the ramifications of 'opening up' the site to anyone and everyone. I'd have to find out more as to whether it will alter the way I use or post on NMS, and have a think about what I'd want 'non-NMS' members to see. As far as I understand, now anyone can access the Forums, can anyone POST without 'joining' NMS? How will the changes affect my privacy as far as my details/posts being 'shared' in cyberspace?

Perhaps we could have a short 'Idiot's Guide', (for Short Idiots like me), which would flag up anything new when using NMS which the 'uninitiated' should be aware of. I would appreciate that.

If the move increases the use of NMS and helps it survive without compromising the content and quality of the debate, information and members' security, then I don't really see a problem, but as I said, I need to find out a bit more before I can make an informed decision as to whether it'll alter the way I use NMS. I would hate to see NMS go down - it would be a major nail in the coffin of MINI ownership for me, so if we can make sensible changes to try to ensure it continues, then that would seem to be the way forward.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

The Dogfather
    Alan - NMS is not alone, NM is in the same position. I believe other MINI forums are also seeing the same decline.

I’ve given our membership a clear picture of were NM stands, quite simply use it or loose it. If things fail to pick up I will close the site. I will direct members to other MINI sites if that happens NMS being the primary one of them.

Personally I think Facebook is actually on the wane itself, probably due to the popularity of Twitter.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Personally, I don't want to be negative about the changes before I actually understand their implications and in that regard I have to be honest - I'm not sure how Facebook etc works, as I've never felt the need to use it, so I'm not sure of any of the ramifications of 'opening up' the site to anyone and everyone. I'd have to find out more as to whether it will alter the way I use or post on NMS, and have a think about what I'd want 'non-NMS' members to see. As far as I understand, now anyone can access the Forums, can anyone POST without 'joining' NMS? How will the changes affect my privacy as far as my details/posts being 'shared' in cyberspace?

Perhaps we could have a short 'Idiot's Guide', (for Short Idiots like me), which would flag up anything new when using NMS which the 'uninitiated' should be aware of. I would appreciate that.

If the move increases the use of NMS and helps it survive without compromising the content and quality of the debate, information and members' security, then I don't really see a problem, but as I said, I need to find out a bit more before I can make an informed decision as to whether it'll alter the way I use NMS. I would hate to see NMS go down - it would be a major nail in the coffin of MINI ownership for me, so if we can make sensible changes to try to ensure it continues, then that would seem to be the way forward.
    Only members can post and see attachments.
    The only new thing is that the forums are now linked to FB and that non registered users can view the forums, but let me try something............

Edit: Didn't work, guests must be able to see the threads.....hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post
    Alan - NMS is not alone, NM is in the same position. I believe other MINI forums are also seeing the same decline. I’ve given our membership a clear picture of were NM stands, quite simply use it or loose it. If things fail to pick up I will close the site. I will direct members to other MINI sites if that happens NMS being the primary one of them. Personally I think Facebook is actually on the wane itself, probably due to the popularity of Twitter.
    Real shame if that's indeed the case Paul (welcome back by the way!), but while we have to be realistic, we also have to be careful not to make it a 'self-fulfilling prophesy' by creating a negative atmosphere - if it looks like a dead duck, it'll definitely sink. These MINI forums (NMS being the best one of course IMHO) are the best way to get the most from your MINI, so we have to try to make sure that's the message we give out, and not give up the ghost too soon. Words like 'decline' and phrases like 'close the site' paint a picture of circling vultures...

I'm not sticking my head in the sand - if low numbers make sites unsustainable, well that's it - but let's give it a bit of a 'bump start' and see if we can make NMS (and NM) more attractive to new members. We'll be giving it a shot at the Scottish Car Show this Sunday - especially with the 'Kylie Shorts Display Team' (hopefully kidding) with a good turn out of cars, with flags, flyers and food. We can only try...

If Site Owners/Moderators/Members have any ideas on how we can get things on a more secure footing, put it out there and hopefully it might start a revival.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Only members can post and see attachments. The only new thing is that the forums are now linked to FB and that non registered users can view the forums, but let me try something............ Edit: Didn't work, guests must be able to see the threads.....hmm
    Cheers Alan

The Dogfather
    We’ve (NM) tried the bump starts but its a short-lived improvement, hence the decision to be brutally honest.

The prophecy has been fulfilled, unfortunately.

I’m on here practically everyday but I only comment on threads that are compelling, this one.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Thanks for your input Paul.

I don't want to scare people off either, but, we must try something, throwing money at the site does not equal success, advertising and showing the world we exist does.

Here is an example, today, 2 new members, coincidence

MINIme:)
    Hmm, I understand the issues better now, thanks for explaining Alan.

I'm wondering this: On a site with fewer, but more devoted, involved members (proper club members) who feel secure and, to a large extent, know each other, would they give more of themselves, open up more make the forum better than one that might become very diluted with people who don't know each other and therefore give out less? It's just a thought, but something more vague and impersonal is less engaging to me than a club, where I know people. The difference in the way I post on here and on tM is huge, due to the fact that they were more visible. I don't know what kind of cost levels you are carrying but would a small 'membership fee' be a feasible way of helping to ease the burden? Maybe it wouldn't work or would put people off. I'm only talking 5 or 10 a year. I'm sure you'd have thought of that if it was a good idea though...It is just an idea and I haven't actually thought it through myself properly so don't attack me for a rubbish idea!! I guess I maybe wouldn't have joined initially if I'd had to pay without having a look about first. Unless you could get access once to look before joining - I think I'm making this too complicated...sorry just trying to throw out some suggestions.

Edit: Also despite the time difference between our psots I didn't see your last post before posting mine due to faffing with an edit box open!