Why Is MINI Photographing an Updated Rocketman Concept?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Is this where the new Flymo engines end up, in one of these?

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

JC Mike
    I think some ranges argubly have choices like you would have with the standard hatch and rocketman, a fiat 500 and punto, a ford ka and fiesta, albeit, these options have 5 doors.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    So the R56 is now the MINI equivalent of a PUNTO????? Bit long in the tooth. No longer stylish enough to cut it? A sort of Fat Dad to the Automotive Teenage Rampage that is Rocketman? (sound of gunshot)

I'd argue that there is more room for 'choices' from huge manufacturers like Fiat and Ford with 'stand alone' model lineups (the 500 has practically nothing to do with the Punto) than MINI which has (possibly Countryman aside) variations on a theme - ie with a distinct MINI style and based on the R56 platform. My point is that there's not a whole lot of difference between a Rocketman and a MINI hatch, whereas the 500 is cute and fashionable and, in comparison, the Punto... isn't. Fiat needed the 500 specifically to get into the market established by MINI way back in 2001, so why should MINI bring out a model in response to cars inspired by it? Trying to reinvent what you invented over a decade ago doesn't make sense to me.

How many 'choices' do we need from MINI? Personally I can't wait for the "Camperman" RV (which will be 25 feet long and handle like a fat labrador) and the "Shop'n'Cut'n'Cookman" supermarket trolley, ride-on lawnmower and BBQ Multi-Purpose 'Lifestyle' Vehicle. At least there'll be somewhere to put your ******* shopping...
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 31st May 2012 at 04:15 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    "Camperman" RV

“MINI giving our customers the choices they want and the choices they don’t since 2001”
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Why would a manufacturer have two separate models arguably chasing the same buyer?

You mean the way BMW has with the 1 & 3 series and Audi have with the A1 & A3, where the higher specced versions of one encroach on the potential market of the lower-mid range versions of the next class up?

JC Mike
    So the R56 is now the MINI equivalent of a PUNTO????? Bit long in the tooth. No longer stylish enough to cut it? A sort of Fat Dad to the Automotive Teenage Rampage that is Rocketman? (sound of gunshot)

I'd argue that there is more room for 'choices' from huge manufacturers like Fiat and Ford with 'stand alone' model lineups (the 500 has practically nothing to do with the Punto) than MINI which has (possibly Countryman aside) variations on a theme - ie with a distinct MINI style and based on the R56 platform. My point is that there's not a whole lot of difference between a Rocketman and a MINI hatch, whereas the 500 is cute and fashionable and, in comparison, the Punto... isn't. Fiat needed the 500 specifically to get into the market established by MINI way back in 2001, so why should MINI bring out a model in response to cars inspired by it? Trying to reinvent what you invented over a decade ago doesn't make sense to me.

How many 'choices' do we need from MINI? Personally I can't wait for the "Camperman" RV (which will be 25 feet long and handle like a fat labrador) and the "Shop'n'Cut'n'Cookman" supermarket trolley, ride-on lawnmower and BBQ Multi-Purpose 'Lifestyle' Vehicle. At least there'll be somewhere to put your ******* shopping...
    Mini seem to reinventing something they did 50 years ago with the Rocketman, similar dimensions to an 'Original Mini' thats how its been marketed to us so far.

JC Mike
    [B]So the R56 is now the MINI equivalent of a PUNTO????? Bit long in the tooth. No longer stylish enough to cut it?
    Or like a Fiesta, its the same segment all these cars are in. Most manufacturers go with slight variations now, the A1 being a good example.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Like a FIESTA? NEVER! NEVER!! NEVER!!!
    Back in the 80's I used to waste Fiesta XR2's for laughs in my Classic Mini, and despite the latest Fiesta being a much better car than its predecessors, let's not put a glorified shopping trolley in the same 'segment' as our beloved MINI. The whole thing about MINI used to be (and still should be) that it wasn't about 'segments' or market share, it was about a unique driving experience.

I really have to stop thinking about this. Despite being an interesting topic for debate, I'm afraid all the speculative Market Segment Model Alignment Niche-Filling talk is getting further and further away from why I got involved with the MINI. So instead I'm going to try to concentrate on Modding, fast B-roads and not acting my age!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

MINIme:)
    I thought this concept had been knocked on the head. Looks OK, but IMHO completely pointless

Does this mean that the MINI Hatch is now deemed to be too BIG? Funny, it used to be too SMALL - hence the Clubbie, which was still too SMALL - hence the Countryman, which is now too BIG - hence the Paceman...

Trying to keep up with all this is like trying to herd cats

I agree with EVERYTHING you just said

...Edit: and this.... you guys are right on my wavelength this evening which is worrying as I've been doing 'blank' all day. I want a Coompervan

"How many 'choices' do we need from MINI? Personally I can't wait for the "Camperman" RV (which will be 25 feet long and handle like a fat labrador) and the "Shop'n'Cut'n'Cookman" supermarket trolley, ride-on lawnmower and BBQ Multi-Purpose 'Lifestyle' Vehicle. At least there'll be somewhere to put your ******* shopping... "

“MINI giving our customers the choices they want and the choices they don’t since 2001”
    Last edited by MINIme:); 1st June 2012 at 12:12 AM.

JC Mike
    Like a FIESTA? NEVER! NEVER!! NEVER!!!
    Back in the 80's I used to waste Fiesta XR2's for laughs in my Classic Mini, and despite the latest Fiesta being a much better car than its predecessors, let's not put a glorified shopping trolley in the same 'segment' as our beloved MINI. The whole thing about MINI used to be (and still should be) that it wasn't about 'segments' or market share, it was about a unique driving experience.

I really have to stop thinking about this. Despite being an interesting topic for debate, I'm afraid all the speculative Market Segment Model Alignment Niche-Filling talk is getting further and further away from why I got involved with the MINI. So instead I'm going to try to concentrate on Modding, fast B-roads and not acting my age!
    I think you are totally missing the point of what i am saying, i am only comparing the mini range to these cars, in size and pretty much nothing else.