Why Is MINI Photographing an Updated Rocketman Concept?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 Cooper
    Thanks to Twitter we know that MINI has been recently busy photographing what looks to be a slightly updated Rocketman concept on Carnaby St in London today. Shod in JCW red roof livery and dark blue, the car looks better than ever. Does this mean the rumors of the concept dying have been exaggerated? We can only hope so.

Update: It would appear MINI is creating a short film featuring the Rocketman.

I'd actually go as far to say that looks just a bit too quirky for my taste and age.....
    Last edited by Stewart; 30th May 2012 at 09:01 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post

I'd actually go as far to say that looks just a bit too quirky for my taste and age.....
    Well, with your age and all, I can understand you thinking that.

Me however, still in the flush of youth, think it's a breath of fresh air and will take the Fiat 500 market by storm!

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

:O Ooooooh yeah looks really nice, so its safe to say id easily accept one of these so long as the asking price is in the realms of reality!! quite like the black/red two tone leather sets as well, at least thats what it looks in those pics. All round visability looks like it would be excellent as well

MINIme:)
    Hmmm interesting, it screams teenage girl at me for some reason - purely from the front end 'face'. But that's just my instinct reaction. It may well grow on me as they usually do!

JC Mike
    It was my understanding that this was definitely getting launched. (excuse the pun)

euan
    I think that looks great, but by the time it goes into production it'll be a bit less smooth one it has bumpers etc fitted.

Still like it.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I thought this concept had been knocked on the head. Looks OK, but IMHO completely pointless

Does this mean that the MINI Hatch is now deemed to be too BIG? Funny, it used to be too SMALL - hence the Clubbie, which was still too SMALL - hence the Countryman, which is now too BIG - hence the Paceman...

Trying to keep up with all this is like trying to herd cats

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I'm not a fan. To me, it looks like they have taken the front of a Ford Ka and stuck it onto a Mini...not cool!
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    I think thats very smart. Could see my wee sister wanting to change her Fiat 500 for one of those.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    I think thats very smart. Could see my wee sister wanting to change her Fiat 500 for one of those.
    I don't think it looks at all bad, but if it is indeed MINI's answer to the likes of the 500, I don't see where it leaves the current hatch... If you need a 'Town Car', you buy a Rocketman, if you need space etc, you buy a Countryman. I have a feeling that, in time, with all these new 'task-specific' models in the range, the R56 could become marginalised and possibly redundant. I suppose it all depends on whether future buyers are willing to put driving pleasure before city-friendly 'dinkiness' or increased practicality.

If this concept made it into production, I wonder what the pricing structure would be? I mean presumably it'll come in under the R56, so what will be the 'play-off' between a well-specced Rocketman and a basic MINI ONE? Why would a manufacturer have two separate models arguably chasing the same buyer?

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!