Countryman "coupe"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Does that means we are all a bunch of shallow posers?

I have bought 4 MINIs because "I" like the way they look and drive, I have no interest in image.

Having said that, I would never buy a Range Rover partly due to the image, so maybe I do have an interest in image!
    I don't think because we own a Mini and its a fashion accessory that we are instantly shallow or posers? Like you Ken, I bought my S because it goes like stink and drives amazingly on the twistys! I bought it because I love it, not because it's practical. If I wanted something practical I'd of bought a Fiesta Zetec TDCi.

I agree with you on the Range Rover front, I probably wouldn't buy one. If I wanted a 4x4 I'd probably buy a Discovery because out of the the RR/Land Rover range, it's probably the most realistic and practical 4x4.
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Resident old yin.
    I maybe used the word practical to describe the MINI. I meant practical as in easy to drive and park in town. I never have anyone in the rear of my car and the boot is big enough apart from my clubs. This is why I like the Coupe.

Big 4x4 cars are so not practical for most people's needs. A 3 tonne gas guzzler that is difficult to park in the tiny spaces we have by a lot of the people who drive them is not a practical car. People who buy one to protect their child on the school run would not like anyone to hit their pedestrian child in one of those.

Also, there must be a lot of people feeling foolish after rushing to buy a 4x4 due to our winters, how many times was it needed this past winter. If was going for 4x4 I would buy a VW, Audi, Panda or Countryman!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I maybe used the word practical to describe the MINI. I meant practical as in easy to drive and park in town. I never have anyone in the rear of my car and the boot is big enough apart from my clubs. This is why I like the Coupe.

Big 4x4 cars are so not practical for most people's needs. A 3 tonne gas guzzler that is difficult to park in the tiny spaces we have by a lot of the people who drive them is not a practical car. People who buy one to protect their child on the school run would not like anyone to hit their pedestrian child in one of those.

Also, there must be a lot of people feeling foolish after rushing to buy a 4x4 due to our winters, how many times was it needed this past winter. If was going for 4x4 I would buy a VW, Audi, Panda or Countryman!
    I would agree with you there in terms of ease of parking. My old man has an Astra Design and it's awful to park, you can hardly see anything!
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Big 4x4 cars are so not practical for most people's needs.
    I'd wager that the majority of 4x4s aren't bought for practicality either, most are bought either as, once again, fashion statements or because they are perceived to be safe - witness the number used on school runs in purely suburban areas.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Minisnaps and Kenl... I wish my life was as clear cut as you pair seem to make it.

Sometimes life dictates what you need and not what you would choose. This happened to me over the last year or so. I'm so glad Ken that your "gloating" at the fact I chose to run a 4x4 to look after my family rather than run what I really wanted which was a mini.

You guys make me laugh sometimes, but in this instance you just come across as opinionated eejits :(

Resident old yin.
    Thanks Craig!

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Your welcome !

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    You know folks, I've just about given up trying to keep up with every new model MINI (if that's what we're still calling them by the end of the year...) seems intent on releasing.

Making my mind up about these 'offshoots' is like trying to sweep up leaves on a windy day. Is it still a MINI? Do I like the looks? Do we need ANOTHER variation on what's just been introduced? Will I offend anyone if I say it's awful?

I've expressed my views about the 'Paceman' concept long ago - MINI apparently made the Countryman as a practical (well as 'practical' as MINI gets...), stylish choice for those who needed more space etc, but they're now trying to introduce 'Sporty' into the equation (despite the availability of a JCW Countryman) with this arguably less practical version of a model which was specifically introduced because the rest of the range wasn't practical enough. See what I mean about getting confused? Aesthetic arguments aside, IMHO it's just another model which some will see as a 'must have', and will be happy to spend their hard-earned on because it's new and 'different'. It won't REALLY matter that it doesn't drive as well as the Hatch, or that it's not as practical as the Countryman, it's new and might have some kind of fashionable 'cache' - for a few months till the next 'latest concept' appears - and it's handy if your finances won't stretch to an Evoque...

On the subject of 'Fashion', back in 2001 and for a few years afterwards, MINI was THE fashionable car to be seen in. It was bought by petrolheads like me 'in the know' and 'fashionistas' just for show. It got more looks than Ferraris and would actually attract a wee crowd when you parked up - I know, I was there.

Now I don't consider myself shallow (I'm just short), or a 'Poser' (have you SEEN me?), but I like my cars to be appreciated by everyone from small kids to petrolheads and pensioners (and remember, the latter two aren't mutually exclusive!), so when your car, whatever it is, gets the thumbs up from your peers or innocent bystanders, it feels DAMN GOOD! The difference with the MINI was that while it had all that Retro Chic 'catwalk stuff' going on, what set it apart from the 'New Beetles' of this world was that you could point it down a decent road and DRIVE THE NUTS OFF IT. It was and is a great drivers car, because underneath the style it had substance.

These days I feel that while all the new MINI models will be decent to drive, as time goes on, Substance is possibly in danger of being diluted by Style, and as a MINI enthusiast I find that a bit sad.
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 13th May 2012 at 03:52 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Minisnaps and Kenl... I wish my life was as clear cut as you pair seem to make it.

Sometimes life dictates what you need and not what you would choose. This happened to me over the last year or so. I'm so glad Ken that your "gloating" at the fact I chose to run a 4x4 to look after my family rather than run what I really wanted which was a mini.

You guys make me laugh sometimes, but in this instance you just come across as opinionated eejits :(
    Craig, I don't recall make any observations with regard your life, what I did do was offer my views, and ones based on having covered this very topic (the consumer buying-decision process with regard to cars) as my dissertation at uni....

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniSnaps View Post
    Craig, I don't recall make any observations with regard your life, what I did do was offer my views, and ones based on having covered this very topic (the consumer buying-decision process with regard to cars) as my dissertation at uni....
    Hey MiniSnaps. Suggest you keep your opinions to yourself, somebody might call you an eejit