Countryman "coupe"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    I've probably said it on here before but I can't stand the Evoque. A horrible fashion accessory IMO!
    I would disagree completely. The 5dr is one of the best looking motors on the market at the moment in my opinion. The interior is very well laid out and feels far better quality than any mini.
    Would you not say that a Mini can be classed as a fashion accessory as well.

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    I would disagree completely. The 5dr is one of the best looking motors on the market at the moment in my opinion. The interior is very well laid out and feels far better quality than any mini.
    Totally, that's why it's the sales success it is and the Beetle isn't.

This thread got me thinking as I drove into work earlier about the similarities between mini and Range Rover (bear with me). Range Rover have been applauded for being a success with the way they have turned the brand around, and yet still have a couple of key cars that could be seen as crown jewels (Defender and the full fat Range Rover) that you just cannot tinker with as people expect a certain shape and features. Mini is the same and the standard Cooper/S/D/SD is that car. RR needed a wider range so brought out Freelander and Discovery. They appeal to different people and they still sell Range Rovers and yet they don't get the grief Mini does when they've done the same thing.

People want choice these days, a Mini is great but for some it's not big enough. Well, you can still buy into the mini qualities if you buy a Countryman/Coupe etc but they do need to keep the core car with the same qualities. You only need to look at all the pointless variances that Audi/BMW/Merc do to sell a few more cars. A slightly less practical A6 that looks a bit sportier? Buy an A5 Sportback. Don't have any need for the back seats in a Mini? Buy a coupe.

I don't think RR did themselves any favours in the UK with the Victoria Beckham tie in for the Evoque, but that's not the point - it was done to sell bucketloads in Asia where beckham has a very strong image. Bear in mind that Asia is where these cars are really selling at the moment and are profitable, a full fat RR being 250K in China, so things like this Countryman Coupe will no doubt sell loads there too.

I can't wait to for the 4WD JCW Speedster Goodwood Limited Edition version, but I realise that in the 6 months between the standard car being introduced and that arriving there will have been another 25 variations launched, so I may have changed my mind by then.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by euan View Post

This thread got me thinking as I drove into work earlier about the similarities between mini and Range Rover (bear with me). Range Rover have been applauded for being a success with the way they have turned the brand around, and yet still have a couple of key cars that could be seen as crown jewels (Defender and the full fat Range Rover) that you just cannot tinker with as people expect a certain shape and features. Mini is the same and the standard Cooper/S/D/SD is that car. RR needed a wider range so brought out Freelander and Discovery. They appeal to different people and they still sell Range Rovers and yet they don't get the grief Mini does when they've done the same thing.

People want choice these days, a Mini is great but for some it's not big enough. Well, you can still buy into the mini qualities if you buy a Countryman/Coupe etc but they do need to keep the core car with the same qualities. You only need to look at all the pointless variances that Audi/BMW/Merc do to sell a few more cars. A slightly less practical A6 that looks a bit sportier? Buy an A5 Sportback. Don't have any need for the back seats in a Mini? Buy a coupe.

I don't think RR did themselves any favours in the UK with the Victoria Beckham tie in for the Evoque, but that's not the point - it was done to sell bucketloads in Asia where beckham has a very strong image. Bear in mind that Asia is where these cars are really selling at the moment and are profitable, a full fat RR being 250K in China, so things like this Countryman Coupe will no doubt sell loads there too.
    I bared with it and I see your point, I agree with it and very well put too!

I've never a fan of new Mini's until I see them in the flesh, the Countryman has really grown on me since it's launch and I was mightily impressed with it when I had one as a courtesy car.
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    We'll need to disagree on the looks I'm afraid Ian. As well as the looks, I am not a fan of the Range Rover image. I never see these cars driven with much courtesy for other road users or do I regularly see them on the driving lane of a motorway.

The Evoque should be much better built than a MINI. Forget a top of the range JCW, the basic MINI design is from about £12k, how much is the most basic Evoque, double that or more?

MINI is not a fashion accessory, its a small practical car with a bit sporting flair.

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by euan View Post

The Beetle seemed to be a huge success in the US when it first came out, the market that it was really designed for. It was built in Mexico after all, next to its main market.

We'll need to disagree on the looks I'm afraid Ian. As well as the looks, I am not a fan of the Range Rover image. I never see these cars driven with much courtesy for other road users or do I regularly see them on the driving lane of a motorway.

The Evoque should be much better built than a MINI. Forget a top of the range JCW, the basic MINI design is from about £12k, how much is the most basic Evoque, double that or more?

MINI is not a fashion accessory, its a small practical car with a bit sporting flair.
    A fashion accessory is exactly what a MINI is marketed as, no-one could really describe the regular hatch as a "practical car". In the states iirc it's been sold since the days of the R50 as a 2+2 coupe....

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniSnaps View Post
    A fashion accessory is exactly what a MINI is marketed as, no-one could really describe the regular hatch as a "practical car". In the states iirc it's been sold since the days of the R50 as a 2+2 coupe....
    Agreed! I think a small practical car with a bit of flair would be something like a Fiesta Zetec or Corsa SXI or a Twingo Cup.
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Resident old yin.
    Does that means we are all a bunch of shallow posers?

I have bought 4 MINIs because "I" like the way they look and drive, I have no interest in image.

Having said that, I would never buy a Range Rover partly due to the image, so maybe I do have an interest in image!

Does that means we are all a bunch of shallow posers?
    No, but with the best will in the world a MINI hatch could never be described as a "practical car", it has a tiny boot and zero rear legroom. Image is the key USP for all such cars (the MINI, Beetle, Alfa Romeo Mito, Fiat 500, etc) none of the cars in this market segment are sold on practicality.