Quality Mini Servicing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by N16SHP View Post
    Craig, my S goes through about a litre of oil every 1200, and that's still within BMW tolerances apparently!
    Holy sheep !!!! Jude's mpg had gone down a bit but I put that down to her lead right foot !!

Will be keeping a better eye on it, especially as I've 800 miles to do in 2 days next week

MINIme:)
    Craig, my S goes through about a litre of oil every 1200, and that's still within BMW tolerances apparently!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Holy sheep !!!! Jude's mpg had gone down a bit but I put that down to her lead right foot !!

Will be keeping a better eye on it, especially as I've 800 miles to do in 2 days next week
    Yeah, when I caught up with Greig, I gave him the laugh. I thought hmmmm, I better check my oil, car is sounding a little gruff when it is turning over on start up. Got out the dipstick...hmmmmm, I know these are hard to read but bloody hell, I cannot tell where it is on that. So I thought I'd check Kirsten's and see what hers was like...pulled it out and it was damn obvious where it was. Went back to mine, pulled it out...still no oil! Looked at the coolant, it had dropped. End of the story is I needed to put in 2.5 litres to get it back to half way on the dip stick...massive problem avoided...JUST! Needless to say, I am now a regular oil checker...I think it's just a good habit to get into!

Oh, and to add to that, I got told by BMW that I need to start giving it the beans a bit more in order to keep the coke build up down...driving it like a Granny to save MPG is aparently not that great for an engine like whats in the S.
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

euan

Oh, and to add to that, I got told by BMW that I need to start giving it the beans a bit more in order to keep the coke build up down...driving it like a Granny to save MPG is aparently not that great for an engine like whats in the S.
    Similar problem on RS4 I understand, though harder to give it the beans due to extreme levels of performance in those!

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Yeah, when I caught up with Greig, I gave him the laugh. I thought hmmmm, I better check my oil, car is sounding a little gruff when it is turning over on start up. Got out the dipstick...hmmmmm, I know these are hard to read but bloody hell, I cannot tell where it is on that. So I thought I'd check Kirsten's and see what hers was like...pulled it out and it was damn obvious where it was. Went back to mine, pulled it out...still no oil! Looked at the coolant, it had dropped. End of the story is I needed to put in 2.5 litres to get it back to half way on the dip stick...massive problem avoided...JUST! Needless to say, I am now a regular oil checker...I think it's just a good habit to get into!

Don't know if you watch wheeler dealers on discovery but they did a decoke of a Jag XK this week with a new system and it did the world of good to the car. Broight the hydro carbons down to a tenth of what it was sitting at These things are coming into garages more and more and it's a worthwhile thing to do.... Thin my local garage said they would do it for under £100 for most cars.

Interesting reading; all our cars use very little oil. Jag gets serviced every 12 mths and I've never topped up in between. Only does about 10k a year. Can only think of putting oil in the minis on a few occassions, never more than 1/2 litre at any time.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Read that as well and to be fair it put me off thinking about ever buying an S. 90% of my car use is short journeys and the few times it gets out of town for enjoyment its never driven remotely hard. I suppose it gives you a great excuse mind to enjoy the S as its supposed to do it good.

MCS needs a higher octane fuel, also needs to be driven with verve and to avoid short trips or lots of idling.

Right I need to check the old oil level as well.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    MCS needs a higher octane fuel, also needs to be driven with verve
    "Driving with a bit too much 'verve' back there sir..."

"Sorry Officer, I was only trying to protect the longevity of my engine... it's a recognised technical issue."

My S does very low miles, thanks to the old 106 workhorse, but I check it every time I take it out for a blast and the oil seems to be fine. I'll make an extra careful check next time!

ps Isn't 'Verve' a 1970's detergent?

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    "Driving with a bit too much 'verve' back there sir..."

"Sorry Officer, I was only trying to protect the longevity of my engine... it's a recognised technical issue."

My S does very low miles, thanks to the old 106 workhorse, but I check it every time I take it out for a blast and the oil seems to be fine. I'll make an extra careful check next time!

ps Isn't 'Verve' a 1970's detergent?
    It was dealers talk that a guy got told on TM....Salesmen I could see using "Verve" along with "Its just a character of the car” when your reporting a fault!
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Don't know if you watch wheeler dealers on discovery but they did a decoke of a Jag XK this week with a new system and it did the world of good to the car. Broight the hydro carbons down to a tenth of what it was sitting at These things are coming into garages more and more and it's a worthwhile thing to do.... Thin my local garage said they would do it for under £100 for most cars.
    I seen that! May see if there is anyone in Aberdeen with this kind of equipment!
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.