Quality Mini Servicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car
    2006 MCS & 1992 MCS (in bits)
    Unfortunately had to say good bye to my 2004 Cooper S and replaced it with a 2006 Cooper S with 40k on the clock. Full Mini service history and see the attached, original air filter? Shocking!

The Alta replacement sounds good though! :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00268.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	3487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00267.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	3486

That's a nightmare, when was the last service Andrew and who signed it off.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    That's shocking
    New sig coming soon

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Oh dear...

On a side not checked the oil in Jude's car for a few weeks (been busy). Checked tonight and less than min in the car. Only 2k on the clock and had to put a litre and a half of oil in it...

I know new engines use a but of oil but I don't think that's right ?!?!?!?!

Car
    I really don't trust them and I don't know what the current tlc packs are like but if you're buying a new car you'd be far better off buying it without TLC and servicing the car at a local garage you trust. The Mini stamps in the log book aren't worth much!

My car was bought from Bristol Mini, owned for 18 months then bought by the previous owner who had it serviced at Eastern Mini, last servise was about 7 months ago so I can't belive it was checked or considered good at that service. I honestly think it's the original filter, 5 and a half years out of a £20 part - poor service. I've got little or no come back though.

I knew it was struggling for air as I was driving it, only had it 3 weeks now, I thought the filter would be poor but not that bad!

Booked it into a local garage next week to give the rest a once over, I know it needs a couple of wee bits and pieces so shortly it should be back to the way it should be, and maybe a bit quicker! :-)

MINIme:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Oh dear...

On a side not checked the oil in Jude's car for a few weeks (been busy). Checked tonight and less than min in the car. Only 2k on the clock and had to put a litre and a half of oil in it...

gah I said I was going to check mine didn't I......

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by S21AGD View Post
    I really don't trust them and I don't know what the current tlc packs are like but if you're buying a new car you'd be far better off buying it without TLC and servicing the car at a local garage you trust. The Mini stamps in the log book aren't worth much!
    Not so sure about that. Have you tried trading a MIN less than 5 years old into a MINI dealer without a TLC. They are very reluctant to take it.

Notwithstanding what I just said, the state of that air filter is disgraceful. Like you say it looks like the original filter but to go through two dealers without being replaced beggars belief. Are there any markings on the filter with a manufacturing date? That may give you a clue. And give you some ammo for an argument with Eastern at least.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    You can check all the basics yourself, oil, coolant, filters etc. It's worth keeping an eye on them all and replacing bits as you think they need to be done. I plan on keeping a car (fingers crossed) for years and years so tend to replace stuff well before it's actually 'done'.

Bit that bugs me the most is that servicing parts really aren't that expensive but the damage they can do to an engine, if not replaced regularly, is expensive...

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    Not so sure about that. Have you tried trading a MIN less than 5 years old into a MINI dealer without a TLC. They are very reluctant to take it.

Notwithstanding what I just said, the state of that air filter is disgraceful. Like you say it looks like the original filter but to go through two dealers without being replaced beggars belief. Are there any markings on the filter with a manufacturing date? That may give you a clue. And give you some ammo for an argument with Eastern at least.

A.
    I know what you mean but I tend to keep cars far longer than a dealer is interested in them.

In all honesty the filter is in the bin and I don't really care, doubt the dealers would make too much effort for a customer who bought a 6 year old car privately.

Just trying to help out other buyers who're looking after cars of a similar age to mine.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Oh dear...

Craig, my S goes through about a litre of oil every 1200, and that's still within BMW tolerances apparently!
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.