oil change interval

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car
    F56 Cooper
    I'm good friends with Martins next door to Weavers Joanna. I've just not popped in for a chat in ages as with the TLC everything has been free, well nearly at the dealers. It would be going in there as I know I can trust them 100% being a family friend, not that I doubt the BM place is not bang on as well.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Drifter
    Advice Required...

Car in need of a Top Up with oil and I always buy Castrol Edge 0w - 30W as is this is what is stated in the Manual to use but isn't cheap at £16 - £19 a litre.

Just wondering what you all use and if there is any where I could buy this cheaper or is there an alternative, could I use Castrol Magnatec 5W - 30W in place of this or any other oil that is 5W - 30W as long as it's Fully Synthetic.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Robert, here is the strange thing. The manual does say 0w/30 however when I asked a technician they say they use 5w/30.....

For your car fully synthetic 5w/30 would do just fine

Drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Robert, here is the strange thing. The manual does say 0w/30 however when I asked a technician they say they use 5w/30.....

For your car fully synthetic 5w/30 would do just fine
    Thanks for that Craig... ... Always seen better deals on 5W - 30W Oil, but was wary in buying it. Good to know that I can... Thanks Again...

MINIme:)
    I see I was as unsure about this a year ago as I am now....

Was told yesterday that my oil looked a bit low and it got a bit extra poured in - but I don't know what type it was... should I find out? Also come to think of it I know it was half way down the dipstick before it was put in but I don't know where it was after.

Was also told that he believed any new car should have an oil change after about 500miles. News to me. My car hasn't had any oil change, any anything actually except for a bit of extra coolant as it had dropped. I don't know whether I need to go in somewhere and get an oil change now. Car is exactly a year old and has only done 7.5k miles. HELP!!

Car
    Your in a no win situation.... Your worried about your car needing an oil change but if you get anyone else to do work on your car MINI could say any issues with your car was down to that work and invalidate your warranty.

Your car is only due a service when it tells you (or in your schedule) so that's pretty much it....

so you haven't done/planned any oil change in elmo? likewise I'm wondering if KEN has done anything as he bought his just before I bought mine.

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post
    so you haven't done/planned any oil change in elmo? likewise I'm wondering if KEN has done anything as he bought his just before I bought mine.
    Nope, I check the oil regularly (normally once a week) and top up if needed.

Car will get serviced when required. It goes against EVERYTHING I was taught as a boy re car maintenance but that's what MINI want

ok thank you. And does the type of oil matter? I've no idea what Colin put in it.

Car
    I know Colin and he knows his cars and engines so he would have only put in your car what it requires ...