oil change interval

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MINIme:)
    I'm probably being thick but this article has really confused me.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/04/...ange-interval/

maybe it's cos I do a low mileage (currently about 6k / yr!!) so for me this interval is changing from 1yr to ooh 1yr? what's the 5k mid cycle reference about? I don't get that bit.
    When should an oil change be done because I have always had it done when servicing was due and this is implying that anyone with any sense at all wouldn't dream of doing that?! I only read it fairly quickly to be honest but it did confuse me Isn't that what service indicators on the dash are meant for? Personally after Stoneys 'incident' I'm not that keen to drag the dispstick in and out too often now! Seem to remember the markings on it are next to useless too for checking so have never got into the habit with this car.

Am I displaying symptoms of 'stupid car owner'?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Hmmm.. Here is my take.

I check the oil on all my cars once a week - always have and always will (unless the car is parked up for a while and I'd check it before starting). Oil change every year regardless of what the manufacturer says... New oil doesn't do harm but worn out oil does

Mid cycle oil changes ?!?!?!? So they think oil changes every 6 months? Unless you have a super modded engine or and older car I see no need for changes so frequent.

Plus, you have tlc so surely there is nothing to worry about ??

once a week?! wow, I would never have thought of doing that. I used to check it before a longer journey (ie every few months) on previous cars. Presume that what is being watched for is the level getting low? Kind of thought a brand new car would be fine but that's prob not very responsible!

My mileage will go up considerably when I move so more keen to be doing the right thing than worried. 6months does sound extreme. Sure I was told I'd have no servicing / scheduled trip to garage for a couple of years....I'd have used the dash to tell me when! Would an oil change come under TLC if it was outside of a service?

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    The TLC will only cover scheduled services, ie, when the dash tells you, all other oil changes are at your cost.
    Like Craig, i check all my cars, lawn mowers, power washer, strimmer, blower and my jet ski once a week, as an ex motor mechanic i just got into the habit.

However, here's the thing, if you don't plan on keeping your car past the 3 year warranty and you only top up the oil as required do you really need to do extra services?
    If your car is a keeper then perhaps a more regular oil change would be good for your peace of mind.

My new Mini and Me Julie's new Dodge are both leased, they will only get the services when the dash tells us it's time, i'll check the oil level regularly though but that's it

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Check my oil when get the car out and change it every 1/2 service as mine is a keeper :)
    New sig coming soon

Car
    MINI-less
    All cars use oil even new ones, just at different rates depending on how you drive and how old the engine is.

So always best to check that dip stick. Also helps you catch problems early, like leaking seals.

Better with a broken dip stick than a broken engine!

ok I'll get into the habit of doing it more often! How long I keep it depends on what i do in the next couple of years, there's a good chance I'll have it 4 or 5 years. Although of course I want a JCW now I've got more into this car thing... but I can see no feasible way of that happening!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Have to say I just went with what the car told me but as I do low miles the second oil change was done on a due date rather than miles. Got the last full TLC service last year mid August that included oil and spark plugs and filters.

I’m rally bad for checking Oil as truth be told the blooming dip stick makes no sense to me, the Honda one was spot on with Max/Min levels marked.

This is the first year I’m considering getting it serviced at my local garage for new Oil and brake pads if needed come later in the year before my last wee holiday trip.

car will be five come December, its just rolled over 27K there the other day.

Adding to that I take it just oil and filter, air filter and new plugs would do the trick?

Anyone got an idea what an independent would charge? And is it best buying all the stuff yourself to make sure the right oil is used and plugs…?
    Last edited by Stewart; 17th April 2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Would you take your car through a car wash? If the answer is no, then look out for the mechanicals the same as the bodywork. The OEM intervals are a bit of a joke tbh... air filter at 40k, plugs at 40k!?

For the cost of a £40 oil change, its madness not to change it every 5k IMO

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

I have absolutely no idea when things should happen so Im afraid 40k for this and that, nothing sounds ridiculous to me as I don't know any better..... you guys will need to keep me right.

Stewart go to RW Weaver by Cathcart train stn. They seemed very decent to me for several years. No frills and they are a nice couple of guys. Tell em 'Joanna mini' sent you, they may well remember me. That's what I always referred to myself as when I phoned and they always knew who I was! I can try and dig out some old bills if you want although not that recent now.
    they're on 0141 637 7898

ps until I met Craig I certainly did go to the car wash!!! I am a reformed character now though. I go to Craig's