Engine management light on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    G19RNT
    Hi there when I was on my way home tonight in my 2006 mini cooper the engine management light came on and the engine is very spluttery and has a lack of power luckily I was just turning in my street so I quickly switched it off any ideas what it could be

Scotty70
    Just had my 2008 One at the dealers today with amber EML, after diagnostics was told i need O2 sensor and reprogram all at a cool £320. The car was running fine prior to this(no lack of power). All i could say is it could be a number of things when the EML comes on. Best of luck.....

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Yeah normally in my experience it's to do with emissions, faulty before or after cat sensor. Get it plugged into a diagnostic machine at a local garage. Doesn't need to be BMW ... They should be able to read the error codes from the obd port

Best of luck Grant

Got access to a Scangauge or similar? Any error codes?

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

G19RNT
    I just looked up the book it's not the eml it's the one above it that looks like an engine it says it something to do with emissions the light the engine now seems normal

G19RNT
    The light has now gone out and it seems normal again just wondering if I should use the car or get it checked out

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Grant, we had that with our BMW. It was an ignition coil that had gone. Was about £200 to get fixed IIRC.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Get hold of a code reader so you know what it is, BMW will charge 2 arms and 3 legs to diagnose something like this. Find out what it is, then get a local garage to do it.

There's a list of fault codes available online somewhere, and what sensor each code relates to

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Get hold of a code reader so you know what it is, BMW will charge 2 arms and 3 legs to diagnose something like this. Find out what it is, then get a local garage to do it.

There's a list of fault codes available online somewhere, and what sensor each code relates to
    What mon said but would get a local garage to do it for you as mini will rape you as they allways do
    New sig coming soon

G19RNT
    Turns out there is low compression in the 4th cylinder so i'am not sure what to do the garage think it will be around £800 to fix depending on what they find I haven't used the car for over a month now I have a mechanic friend who said he could do the job now we know what the problem is we will be trading it in soon anyway as we need a bigger car do I don't want to spend a fortune on it as its already cost me £1200 in previous repairs