Fi 2012 TV coverage..

Man I am NOT a happy

I cannot believe that the BBC is only going to be covering roughly half of the seasons races live while SKY are doing the whole season interuption free as well (apparently) so I guess the only the option for me was to see if my Virgin TV package would include this new channel for the F1 coverage ...and NO it does not and if I want to get this one and only extra channel then I have to get the whole SKY sports package which would then cost an extra £22.50 a month just so I can watch F1 which was in all cases free(so to speak of) on BBC last year and on other channels in previous years.

I think it's absolutely outrageous that this is happening. I have been a lifelong F1 fan and have always tried to watch races live where possible and repeats later in the day only if I REALLY REALLY had to , I even try to work my shifts at work around being able to watch these races live. But I guess I wont be doing that anymore...

I reckon this is going to have a huge impact on the amount of people who follow/watch F1 and may even at worst make people stop following the sport altogether, because it is just money money money to the big wigs in this sport now and they just dont give a crap about the regular Joe Blogs like myself who have follwed this sport for a lifetime and who cant afford to pay these exorbitant prices for the privelage of watching it on TV.

This is all down to greedy Bernie I think

...whats this world coming too

*sorry about the rant folks*

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Your welcome in "Moes" to watch the races Ali.

It's the way of the world these days, money is what rules TV. Football clubs in the top flight couldn't survive without tv money. I have the full sky package but think that over half of my subsciption goes to the sports deals done with football, rugby, F1, golf etc etc

I do hope it is uninterrupted coverage as when stv had it, the breaks used to do my head in !!

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Its boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring anyway so you won't be missing much Ali....!!
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

euan
    No adverts on Sky during the races.

BBC will show all the races in full on a delay basis, and if you look at the races they are showing on delay it's a lot of the flyaway early morning races and they intend to show them at normal race time. Same with qualifying.

I'm not happy, but I'm not paying Sky money either. Suck it and see, though I will miss getting up early to watch some of the flyaways.

Here is the BBC coverage schedule.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/race-calendar/

euan
    And a bit more on Oz and Malaysia:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17238688

TELEVISION COVERAGE

Australian Grand Prix, Melbourne
    Saturday 17 March: Qualifying highlights: 1300-1415, BBC Two/BBC HD/online
    Sunday 18 March: Grand Prix highlights: 1400-1600, BBC One/BBC HD/online

Malaysian Grand Prix, Sepang

Saturday 24 March: Qualifying highlights: 1300-1415, BBC One/BBC HD/online
    Sunday 25 March: Grand Prix highlights: 1445-1645, BBC One/BBC HD/online

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I’m the worst F1 TV viewer. I get bored really easy I watch the run up and start then I can wash a car, spend an hour or two in the Garden and catch the end. I will emit last year I was trying a bit harder and I think I see two or three start to finish.

Only plus I can see for me is Monaco Grand Prix is live on the BBC as it’s usually the one I watch. Shame a lot of fans will miss out due to Sky flashing the cash.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I think F1 is one of these things that you either love it or hate it. I love it and personally a dedicated F1 channel is just brilliant! I don't think it's fair that you have to pay for it, and if they wanted to be customer friendly they would put it in free as part of the basic £17 a month standard. But Sky are certainly not customer friendly, and if you seen the news this morning, the Murdoch's may be in trouble anyway and have their broadcasting licence revoked.

It's also not Sky's fault for steeling the races. BBC decided not to renew their rights to it because it was too expensive. Instead they chose to keep crappy channel like BBC4 and keep giving ridiculously old, not funny anymore programms like First Gear a huge budget. So for the non sky customer, it's get rid of First Gear, get rid of BBC4 and get F1 back on the BBC!
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by N16SHP View Post
    I think F1 is one of these things that you either love it or hate it. I love it and personally a dedicated F1 channel is just brilliant! I don't think it's fair that you have to pay for it, and if they wanted to be customer friendly they would put it in free as part of the basic £17 a month standard. But Sky are certainly not customer friendly, and if you seen the news this morning, the Murdoch's may be in trouble anyway and have their broadcasting licence revoked.

It's also not Sky's fault for steeling the races. BBC decided not to renew their rights to it because it was too expensive. Instead they chose to keep crappy channel like BBC4 and keep giving ridiculously old, not funny anymore programms like First Gear a huge budget. So for the non sky customer, it's get rid of First Gear, get rid of BBC4 and get F1 back on the BBC!
    I think the challenge for the BBC was setting budgets.

This year they have the Olympics, the Paralympics and the European Championships. F1 is expensive to cover as well as the money Bernie gets, so this was a good way for the BBC to drop the expense while still maintaining a service. I do think they've been shocked by just how aggressive some of the response has been to it though and I wonder if they would have done it again. The Sky coverage is looking very slick from the clips I've seen on YouTube, and it's quite telling how much Sky are pushing things like thought outside of their usual outlets to try and get more takeup. I'd be interested in the take up numbers for the Sky channel. Certainly on Sky they're giving it away free with HD and sports and a lot of people have the full package so won't see an incremental cost, whereas on Virgin the number of people with Sky sports is much lower so the extra is considerable. Sky will have put the contractual obligation on Virgin to try and get more people subscribing to the full package, whereas all they will do is alienate more people.

Last year I had sky sports on Virgin for the football, cancelled it at the end of the season as I'd hardly watched it. I get ESPN anyway and with the lack of English clubs in the Champions League later stages I'm not bothered this year - and it saved me a packet.

All in all though, it's a right mess.

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    I'm P!ssed off too, I am currently in a rented house and cant get SKY even if I wanted to pay the thieving scum so I can watch no end of repeats, SKY minimum contract is one year, I will not be in this house for much longer so thats it FECKED!!

Rant not over yet im sure....