JCW Carbon Steering Wheel Inserts... daft question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    As a Hogmanay Treat, I thought I'd nip out this morning and fit the Carbon Inserts on my steering wheel - 10 minute job, no probs... EXCEPT:
    How the **** do you get the BOTTOM insert out? I got the other two sorted OK, but the removal of the bottom one, while there are no screws to undo, seems to be hampered by the airbag housing/horn centre boss of the wheel. I can prise out the two lower fittings, but the top two seem impossible to pull out as the rim of the airbag housing is in the way and the horn keeps going off like a deranged alarm every time I try to move it! I didn't want to force anything in case I damaged the boss or the airbag. Plus the fact my neighbours would have killed me if I got any 'hornier'

I'm sure there's a simple solution - or do I have to take the wheel to bits? Bloody hope not... Any ideas? Go on, make my New Year!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

GCA3N
    Done this a few times Euan. There are two methods. Firstly after you remove the screw it will actually pull out but it's very tight. The easiest way is to disconnect the battery and then using a 2 or 3mm Allen key put it in the hole behind the steering wheel pushing in it will unclip the airbag, with out actually removing the whole airbag unit it will now allow the insert to be removed. Once you've replaced the insert the airbag just pushes back in. Once complete reconnect battery. If your struggling pop over and I'll do it for you bud.

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    If you cant get it done I will do it when you are over with your side skirts.

Many Thanks Greig and Ian!

I reckon it would make sense to sort it when I'm over with the 'Skirts. Ian, let me know a couple of 'Suitable Saturdays' for you and I'll run over with the bits and we can hopefully get the 'makeover' back on track!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Elfman, will phone you some point over the next couple days when I know what my plans are

Cheers Shinemeister! Talk to you then

Update on the remaining Carbon insert
    - was in Hamilton earlier today after taking G3 ELF out for a canter (it was nice and clean under cover in the garage, but in danger of seizing up through lack of use - there's a joke there somewhere - so it's now manky but happy!) and dropped in to Douglas Park MINI, just on the off-chance. RESULT! For the swap of my 'spare' NMS Calendar, I got a cup of coffee, a blether and my obstinate 3rd carbon spoke fitted! So the calendar has now 'infiltrated' a MINI Dealership, and might even be classed as 'legal tender' in some areas! All in all, 20 minutes very well spent, and top marks tae Dougie Park's

Thanks to Greig and Ian for the offers of help - much appreciated.

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Cheers Shinemeister! Talk to you then

Update on the remaining Carbon insert
    - was in Hamilton earlier today after taking G3 ELF out for a canter (it was nice and clean under cover in the garage, but in danger of seizing up through lack of use - there's a joke there somewhere - so it's now manky but happy!) and dropped in to Douglas Park MINI, just on the off-chance. RESULT! For the swap of my 'spare' NMS Calendar, I got a cup of coffee, a blether and my obstinate 3rd carbon spoke fitted! So the calendar has now 'infiltrated' a MINI Dealership, and might even be classed as 'legal tender' in some areas! All in all, 20 minutes very well spent, and top marks tae Dougie Park's

Thanks to Greig and Ian for the offers of help - much appreciated.
    Your very welcome Euan.

Took the car out for a blast yesterday and I reckon the Carbon bits have added at least 10bhp...

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Took the car out for a blast yesterday and I reckon the Carbon bits have added at least 10bhp...

Cheers Craig! Running like a dream and pulling like a train! (the car that is - I haven't 'pulled' since the last Ice Age )
    Had to get the wee motor out on the road again last week, as it had been locked up for far too long what with the Landscaping, using the Pug for work etc etc You forget how much fun your MINI is when you don't drive it for a while!

I had been thinking about trying to get a bit more noise out of it by removing the front resonator/silencer, but to be honest, although it doesn't have the soundtrack of my old car, it's sounding so sweet it'd be daft to start mucking around with it. Back in the Pug this week for the daily drive though - the MINI doesn't even get warmed through on my short (4 miles) run to work, so it gets wear and tear in 'Granny Mode' for no real reason. I have the luxury of being able to give it a good run every time I use it now, and it seems to be working a treat

This all sounds good, and I sound spoiled for choice, but I only have the Pug because Mum's not with us any more - so I'd much rather be having to use the MINI as my daily driver... Every silver cloud has a dark lining. Sorry, got a bit heavy there, silly old fart

Anyway, next up are the JCW Sideskirts, which might require a 250bhp Custom Remap to overcome the extra drag... (only kidding )
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 9th January 2012 at 03:38 PM.