STOP / START fault

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mark1984
    my car has done that to me a few times i pull up it stops then when i go to pull off it does not restart and i have not opened the dor or any thing as it turns its self off if you open drivers door.

it will not work if it is too cold outside or if you have to many things drawing power switched on or if your battery is needing a charge there are other things but i can not remember then. please let me know what the garage says as i also need to have mine looked at i never thought of it as a fault till i seen your post i just presumed that i had done something while it was stoped so that it did not restart.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    As an ex motor mechanic i cannot get my head around the fact that you would want to strain the starter motor by choice.
    I can only imagine the amount of times the stop start would be used in a heavily traffic light populated area.
    Personally, i would have it turned off

MINIme:)
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    Joanna there is a button at the front of the gear stick which if you press switches off the auto start/stop. I always done that. Also always used to drive with sport button on too Joanna. Thats what I was getting at.
    so you just start the car normally and then switch it off. It's not a bad idea, I did think it was too much strain in a city environment to be going on and off all the time and as a result I tend to keep my foot on the clutch at lights rather a lot to stop it from kicking in! Your method sounds better!

Use it all the time while driving in Edinburgh and never had a problem. Spend considerable time sitting at traffic lights etc and think it does help economy and always started when I press the clutch.

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post
    so you just start the car normally and then switch it off. It's not a bad idea, I did think it was too much strain in a city environment to be going on and off all the time and as a result I tend to keep my foot on the clutch at lights rather a lot to stop it from kicking in! Your method sounds better!

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    As an ex motor mechanic i cannot get my head around the fact that you would want to strain the starter motor by choice.
    I can only imagine the amount of times the stop start would be used in a heavily traffic light populated area.
    Personally, i would have it turned off
    Agree with this in principle Alan but I don't think you should always have turn it off. Maybe (only an idea) the STOP START should have been a no cost option when you spec the car from new.

From a bit of reading it could be

a. something to do with the seatbelt
    b. the bonnet is not shut
    c. fault with the battery
    d. sensor fault on clutch
    e. an engine sensor fault
    f. a combo of a. - e.
    g. None of the above and something totally different that a garage / dealer cannot detect
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    I had an issue with start stop that involved the car almost cutting out as it should then deciding it didnt want to and revving itself to around 3000rpm before going back to normal idle. Dealers decided it was my floor mats to blame which was utter **** as it did it with the mats out also. In the end i gave up and lived with it until I sold it as the dealers couldn't replicate the issue with them.

Def not a feature I miss in the FJCW

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazthemod View Post
    Dealers decided it was my floor mats to blame
    ...brilliant. Those nasty, tricky floor mats...
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Had a new Honda accord and after a week or two the seatbelt would not release from its storage place at the side of the door, But only if I parked the car facing up the hill. I got annoyed jumping in the car late and driving without the seatbelt for about five minutes- not good or clever.

Thought this is going to be a nightmare and took it to the Dealer, service guy listens then goes away. I then see the car being parked in the flat. Another guy comes in after about five minutes saying no fault. I turned and said “ It only happens when its on a slope facing up” service manager said something like “Nothing like a slope can affect it so there is no need to try”

I said listen I’ve spent time working this out just entertain me with the Service ramp at the side. Guy goes off and after about twenty minutes comes back saying I’m right its when its parked facing up.

Its always annoying when the cars do something strange.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!