Are RF tyres starting to get somewhere?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post

so in a Lesser powered Pippa, I'm ok?
    There's a Subsection which states:
    "ANY MINI, irrespective of Power Output, should be driven at Moderate to Brisk pace at least once a month, and the handling and performance of the vehicle should be 'fully utilised' on Birthdays and Public Holidays"

So there you are Joanna, it's not me - it's the LAW!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

And I do believe the A93 is the 'approved' road for these kind of shenanigans

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Cars are to be used in what they are ment for they would not make it do 100mph + if they where not ment to fair enuf u don't want to drive like a nutter all the time but no harm
    In having some fun in a car that handles well and go's quick then I'm going to use it I enjoy going on track days and geting the most out of my car !!

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)
    New sig coming soon

I fear I may be mainly responsible for steering this thread off topic, if not off the road... Apologies Mods and Peeps.

The general consensus should be that you drive your MINI in a way (within reason) that YOU find most enjoyable and at a pace you're comfortable with - that's what NMS is all about.

A final thought... I just wish I had a video of my (post-toilet stop!) single track 'solo' run from Durness to catch up with the NMS Convoy on this year's Highland Run. For me, that just nailed what MINI is all about - after that I totally knew my 'modding money' had been well-spent. Best 20 mins I've had in my R56 to date, and every bit as good as the high points in my R53 JCW 210 - which is saying something, as the R56 is often seen (in standard guise probably quite rightly) as being less of a 'Driver's Car' than the earlier model. But with a few well-chosen mods, it can kick ass with just as much conviction!
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 7th December 2011 at 02:22 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 Cooper

That’s why you were last! A pist stop.

That’s why I think I’ve enjoyed the HT over the years, It’s such a long run you can relax and enjoy it and know you are going to catch up. I’ve never had a problem with anyone’s driving and in fact enjoy that some of these pocket rockets are getting used correctly. I feel sorry for the ones that never experience the Mini in its native habitat of Highland twisty deserted roads.

I can think of nothing worse than a Works going from point A to B in town all its life even with the odd motorway excursion. I’m sure if I had one I’d be running that little bit quicker too and enjoying it for what it is. Not that the standard Cooper is anything but enjoyable on these roads too.

Back on topic, your man above enjoys building his car step by step and most of these would never be appreciated unless the car was driven enthusiastically. The second or third day after I ditched the RF I started to appreciated how much nicer the ride was in the Mini. It could have just been the mess that were the Glasgow streets at the time or the rattle that used to emanate occasionally from the dash but for me the RF’s started getting annoying. The second I drove my Sisters new Cooper that did not come with RF on the same road it was game over from a slight hardly noticeable bump in her car to the bang of my car.

But as a technology idea the RF are still a great idea. But I’d still prefer a normal spare personally like we used to have in cars. Not a fan of the space saver but I’d rather have that than my Goo and foot pump.
    Last edited by Stewart; 7th December 2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

LadyR
    I'll second that, nothing irritates me more than getting stuck behind a lorry or something on the road between Inverness an Ullapool. The bends are made for a mini 😄

Car
    F56 Cooper
    In fact its easier following this lot than trying to decide on were to stay for next years HT in Plockton. But yes your lucky to have such fantastic roads up there Lady R. That touch wood some us will see in June.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

MINIme:)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    I fear I may be mainly responsible for steering this thread off topic, if not off the road... Apologies Mods and Peeps.
    Stop it then

Quote Originally Posted by minime:) View Post
    stop it then
    NO, I WON'T!

Cheers for the video reminder Stewart! If you look carefully, you can see the haze of Adrenalin surrounding my car...
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 12th December 2011 at 02:17 PM.

MINIme:)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    NO, I WON'T!
    sigh!!