Are RF tyres starting to get somewhere?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Malcolm, I reckon the latest gereration of runflats, like your Contis, ARE an improvement over the older versions, but still not on a par with a good performance non R/F.

I came from Runflat 16's and found them quite acceptable on my R53, even with the power it was putting out (210+), probably because of the taller 55 series sidewall which absorbed more of the bumps and surface changes, but when I moved to the R56 with 17" runflats, I did notice a deterioration in ride quality and that the overall 'comfort zone' of the tyres was narrower than the 16's - ie on smooth dry roads they were fine, but they just didn't feel that 'secure' when pressing on in less forgiving, cold and/or greasy conditions. The combo of the overly-stiff 'Sports' suspension and the R/F 17's just didn't seem to gel. The JCW Suspension helped a bit, but the power increases seemed to upset the applecart again. I can only report what I found when I switched to the non-R/F Contis. My car now feels more 'at home' doing what it's supposed to do - ie going down an interesting bit of road at an interesting rate without scaring the crap out of me. The combination of my JCW and other power upgrades and my JCW Suspension really showed the R/F's as the weak link in the chain, and in fact I wish I had changed the tyres before I did any other mods...

The only fly in the ointment is the dreaded 'puncture scenario' - I do miss the peace of mind the runflats gave - but I'm willing to risk that to enjoy my car more of the time, and me Werther's Originals don't bounce out of their packet!
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 4th December 2011 at 05:21 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

MINIme:)
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post

Stewart......

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Don’t encourage him!

It’s all about the journey.

“Drive slow and enjoy the scenery - drive fast and join the scenery”

Back on subject on another thread we talked about the AA and RAC and if they would help out in a situation with a flat. I think we came to the conclusion they don’t fix tyres at the side of the road and would only tow you to a local garage. But as Rob suggested there are 24/hr mobile tyre fitting services out there.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Don’t encourage him!

It’s all about the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post

Scenery - BRACE YOURSELF!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

You and your elves are very irresponsible

I'm with Stewart ...and I don't believe either of us have a skip blocking our path

Joanna, I think you have SKIP ENVY! It's going this weekend I think... just in time for the crappy weather. Anyway - didn't see you coming to my rescue...

I'll have you know I'm VERY sensible... most of the time. But realistically - isn't it against MINI Law to have a 200+bhp MINI with all the bits and always drive it SLOWLY? I have to have the odd thrill now and again, you can't deny me that, surely? (...don't call me 'Shirley'). It's not irresponsible - it's FUN!!!!!! Don't knock it till you've tried it!

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post

Isn't it against MINI Law to have a 200+bhp MINI with all the bits and always drive it SLOWLY?
    No full Scottish Law Euan, remember studying this at police college.

Road traffic act 1988:

Section 112B: sub-section 55c

: Whislt driving a high performance Mini the driver must at all times drive like the car has been stolen.

Road traffic act 1988:
    Section 112B: sub-section 55c
    : Whilst driving a high performance Mini the driver must at all times drive like the car has been stolen.

so in a Lesser powered Pippa, I'm ok?

No full Scottish Law Euan, remember studying this at police college.

Road traffic act 1988: Section 112B: sub-section 55c:Whislt driving a high performance Mini the driver must at all times drive like the car has been stolen.
    I KNEW it.