Are RF tyres starting to get somewhere?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    MINIme:)
    Are there improvements on the horizon?

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/12/...y-come-of-age/

Car
    F56 Cooper
    It’s probably the best thing I did take the car off RF. As everyone knows Capt Slow here so I’m not going to comment on the difference in handling or grip on the edge. But I can confirm that the car became so much more comfortable off in my opinion a very Harsh RF ride.

When I got the car I was apologising to passengers as the car crashed about feeling every pot hole or slight bump and felt like it was rattling itself to death.

So there would be massive scope for improvement. What’s not to like if they can give the comfort and handling and feel with the added insurance that if you get a flat you can still drive on it.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

MINIme:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Capt Slow here
    I'm intrigued to know which of us would win in a 'slow off' maybe find out one day!

It’s really interesting that this thread has come up at this time, because of the touring holiday we have booked for next year; it’s something I’ve given a lot of thought to recently.

In my view run flats have come of age. Why would BMW even fit them on their M sport cars?

When we bought the van it came with normal Conti sport tyres. The Beast had Contisport run flats. So having listened to everyone else and because Sioban likes the “safety” aspect of driving on run flats, she wouldn’t have to stop in the dark to change a tyre, we swapped the tyres over.

So for the last two months I’ve been driving both cars with identical brand new tyres, except one set are run flats and I don’t really notice any difference to the handling in the dry or wet. I have noticed no difference in the road noise or the firmness of the drive, taking into account that The Beast has sports suspension.

People who know me know I don’t hang about and I don’t use brakes unless I really have to, but I don’t usually drive on the “edge”, so maybe I’m not pushing hard enough to “lose it” on run flats? But they are much better than run flats from even 4 years ago.

I totally accept the “cost” argument, as they are twice the price of normal tyres, but what do I do when I take the Beast on a 2000 mile trip? Was switching the tyres a mistake? I would have gone on run flats with confidence, but now I am going to have to take a spare tyre, as the “spray gunk” is totally useless in my opinion. Can you get a Mini space saver that goes over the Works brakes?

As with Stewart I know a lot of people will disagree with me, it’s a very emotive topic, in fact I can hear Euan chomping on his Weatheralls as he types, but it’s my opinion, having road tested both on a regular basis.
    Last edited by weefossy; 3rd December 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I recently changed to my new winter tyres (Goodyear) that are runflats am asking myself WHY DID I DO IT
    crashy, juddery ride and wooden lack of feel are awful compared to the Mitchelins I was running before. Its not just me, passengers have also commented on it.

Is that not just a fact of winter tyres, whether run flat or not?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by weefossy View Post
    Is that not just a fact of winter tyres, whether run flat or not?
    Nope

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by weefossy View Post
    I Can you get a Mini space saver that goes over the Works brakes?
    Malcolm the mini space saver does not fit over the brakes/disc's front or rear. What I would say is the boot can take a fully alloy wheel and tyre if you remove the floor mat in the boot. It's basically leaves you very little boot space if any but an option it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post
    I'm intrigued to know which of us would win in a 'slow off' maybe find out one day!

Stewart......

I'm doing a similar Euro trip next year, no way I'm ruining my enjoyment of the old Spa and the Ring with runflats. I'm getting hold of a spacesaver, and I'll carry a 13mm spacer and longer bolts so it clears the rear brakes. If I can't get a spacesaver, a 15" steel will do the job

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    I'm doing a similar Euro trip next year, no way I'm ruining my enjoyment of the old Spa and the Ring with runflats. I'm getting hold of a spacesaver, and I'll carry a 13mm spacer and longer bolts so it clears the rear brakes. If I can't get a spacesaver, a 15" steel will do the job

i would go 2nd option if i was you saves fecking around with spacer ect when at side of road
    New sig coming soon