2012 meets

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hi everybody.

Conscious that we do not appear to have any runs booked for next year and was wondering if anybody had any plans.

I might try and organise one round the borders but have not done one before so would need to find a suitable route.

If anybody is planning to organise anything next year could they suggest roughly when they would be doing it so I can work around these dates. Also any other dates I should avoid e.g Mikey show.

Think it would be good to have a few rough dates pencilled in spread across the year.

The runs are my (and Toms!) highlight of mini ownership.

Neil.

Known / Provisional Events

March - East Lothian run - weefossy
    Apr - Fife Fryer - Duncan Stewart
    Jun / July - Picnic Run - Stoney
    Jun / July - Perthshire run - Duncan Stewart
    Sep / Oct - Heart of the Borders - AndyP & Lenore
    Sep / Oct - Deeside run - Duncan Stewart
    Oct - New Mini Show

OTHER POSSIBLE EVENTS

Paintball
    Go-karting
    Last edited by Neil - TXJ; 29th November 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Neil always best to orgainise your run for when suites you. You will always get a turn out from the regular faces and there has been some new people to the site so they may want to show there face and cars aswell . As yet ive nopt heared of any run being orgnaised yet
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Neil,

Good on you for thinking about organising a run. AndyP and Lenore have organised a fair few runs down the Borders so they could give you some tips on routes and how to go about it.

All I would say is do what works for you re dates, but bear in mind other factors which may affect how many people turn up (ie other big events). Mikeys show is normally Oct

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Neil,

Good on you for thinking about organising a run. AndyP and Lenore have organised a fair few runs down the Borders so they could give you some tips on routes and how to go about it.

All I would say is do what works for you re dates, but bear in mind other factors which may affect how many people turn up (ie other big events). Mikeys show is normally Oct
    Thanks Craig - hope I can sort something but life is manic but considering how much I enjoy don't think I should just rely on others to organise.

Thought it would be good to fit around other events so that every couple of months we have an event of some form to look forward to. Appreciate not easy to achieve and will see what responses we get over the next few days and take it from there.

Will update my first post with any known/provisional events.

Neil

MINIme:)
    I might be interested if anyone else kinda slow was going!

pootle_wee.jpg

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    As Craig has said we've organised a few runs down this way. And I'd love to continue that but we've had to commit more to working on Sunday's to save costs at work. Trouble is all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Just had a chat with Lenore and I think we'll look at doing the Heart Of The Borders run again this year - would be early September or late October.

I don't want to dent your bonnet but the cost of fuel for organising a run is astronomical! In the past when we organised a new run we'd recce the area and plot some roads we want to use in the run. Head home, plan the run on maps, draw up a basic route with expected turns, then head out again another day and do a full route recce plotting each turn and making turn notes and mile marks. Then the a couple of weeks before the run I'd do the whole route again checking the mileages and turn notes to make sure they are as accurate as possible. Then you've got the full run on the day. Total fuel cost in today's prices can easily run to a few hundred pounds!

But, organising a run always filled me with an excitement buzz and if we hadn't made a commitment to working Sunday's, we'd still be organising runs.

To be honest, I think these days I would do all the planning at home, then head out for ONE recce then do the run and make sure everyone knows there may be errors in the notes.

Neil, I organised a couple of runs down Kielder Water and they always went down well. A lunch stop at a pub in Bellingham which did a terrific carvery - can't remember the name of it at the moment, but it will be detailed in the route notes for those runs which will be in the older pages of the MINI Meets forum.

I've also always though the back roads from Hawick across through Jedburgh and across to Morebattle and then down into Kelso and across to Coldstream or Duns would be a cracker.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

impressed at the effort put in Andy I will say though, if I may (at risk of showing myself to be a pain in the ar*$) for someone up the back panicking, trying to catch up and without a navigating passenger or sat nav...the likelihood of a few mistakes in the notes would put me off entirely as I'd be pretty worried about losing everyone including myself. However that is pretty selfish so maybe just not for me

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post
    impressed at the effort put in Andy I will say though, if I may (at risk of showing myself to be a pain in the ar*$) for someone up the back panicking, trying to catch up and without a navigating passenger or sat nav...the likelihood of a few mistakes in the notes would put me off entirely as I'd be pretty worried about losing everyone including myself. However that is pretty selfish so maybe just not for me
    Theres place on the run for people of all paces. You may find being further upfront better as you are travelling at the pace of the lead car which is generally national speed limits. Personally I prefer hanging around at the back because when you guys up front break away at junctions/turnings/traffic lights etc we have a more 'spirited' drive to catch up. I know that some newbies feel the back is a better option as they think they think it will be slower but it's usually the opposite haha

Or you can do a Stewart and go at your own pace and meet us at the stop off points (mainly highland tour for this example) he takes things at his own pace and stops for photo opportunities, im often jealous of the stuff he sees that I miss out on with bombing about lol.

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

Cheers Baz, appreciated

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    i prob will do a run next year but dates i dont know due to selling my flat will defo do a picnic run again june/july time i think
    New sig coming soon