16" Wheels & Tyres: Runflats Vs. Non-Runflats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Dogfather
    I've used the mobility system before on an Audi A2 and it works fine. You just have to pop into a garage and get your tire repaired properly asap. It gets you home.

I wouldn't go for RF because of the extra cost and fact they knacker the ride.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Cheers guys, will keep thinking about this. Got a few weeks before the wheels arive.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

Cheers guys, will keep thinking about this. Got a few weeks before the wheels arive.
    Interested if there is any more information on this thread as I will need to replace my 2 front Dunlop 195/55 R16 87H DSST runflats quite soon, and am undecided whether to change to non-runflats all round. (and whether to stay with 195/55 or go for 205/50 on the 16" rims).

Comments appreciated.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Runflats - more expensive, worse ride quality, poorer handling but no worries about punctures
    No Runflats - cheaper, better ride & handling but need to buy a electric airpump & can of tyre sealant and hope you don't get a puncture to big for the sealant to seal (like I did :disapprove:)- or carry a spare on the rear seat like I do now.
    195/55 has more sidewall cusioning than 205/50 so if you drive on any of Fifes back roads like I do then I'd go for the 195/55 for the better ride.
    There are the pros and cons - now the decision is yours! - do I sound like a cheezy games show host!
    Or another suggestion - For the best ride quality, minimal loss of handling grip (or maybe none compared to runflats) and much cheaper tyres why not change to 15" wheels - nearly new BMW sets with nearly new tyres only cost about £200 (on E-bay etc)and new tyres only about £40 each. Decision here really depends on if you like the look of the bigger wheels.
    Hope this helps

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Runflats - more expensive, worse ride quality, poorer handling but no worries about punctures
    No Runflats - cheaper, better ride & handling but need to buy a electric airpump & can of tyre sealant and hope you don't get a puncture to big for the sealant to seal (like I did :disapprove:)- or carry a spare on the rear seat like I do now.
    195/55 has more sidewall cusioning than 205/50 so if you drive on any of Fifes back roads like I do then I'd go for the 195/55 for the better ride.
    There are the pros and cons - now the decision is yours! - do I sound like a cheezy games show host!
    Or another suggestion - For the best ride quality, minimal loss of handling grip (or maybe none compared to runflats) and much cheaper tyres why not change to 15" wheels - nearly new BMW sets with nearly new tyres only cost about £200 (on E-bay etc)and new tyres only about £40 each. Decision here really depends on if you like the look of the bigger wheels.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks Duncan, that is a very good summary indeed.

Regarding the puncture problem with non RF, perhaps the answer is to get some of that goo (TyreSafe) injected into each tyre. I already carry an electric air pump.

I think I'll stay with the 16" wheels as I like the look of them and fit non RF 195/55 as then my insurance company will be happier than an 'upgrade' to 205/50.

Any recommendations on particular makes of 195/55 R16 to go for?