16" Wheels & Tyres: Runflats Vs. Non-Runflats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Does anyone have experience in switching from 195/55x16 Goodyear NCT5 Runflats to non-runflats still in 16" size?

I'm swithering about this as I'm not sure if the softer sidewalls etc of non-runflats will provide better grip/ride or be out of kilter with the suspension and just feel wobbly. I would hate to lose the “Taught” feel of the car, but feel the runflats can be a bit too “wooden” on our lumpy roads, causing skips and slips where there should be grip.

But there's also the dreaded puncture scenario to consider.....Hmmm.

Any info and advice on this would be really useful.

Cheers!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Another stunning thread success for the ELFMAN.....
    Wonder why I bother. Maybe I should have said I was fitting 36" Alloys and 650 series tyres........
    HUMPH.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Wow, 36" Alloys - that would look so COOL

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Wow! the first MINI 4 by 4 look-a-like!
    Seriously - I researched wheels / tyres last year any the most common opinion was that 205 / 50 by 16" was the best handling combination for a Mini and more comfortable that 195 / 55 by 16" run flats.
    Never run 16" runflats myself but did try the 205 / 50 by 16" non runflats which provided amazing grip but hated the potholes!
    Hope this helps

Thanks DS,
    So you reckon the 205/50x16 is a good bet? Was it a Yokohama 509? or what. Was there any noticable handling difference with the less-armoured/stiff sidewall? Did you stick with them?

Waiting for a set of 7x16 Minilites, so have to decide whether to swap over/buy new runflats or try Yokos etc. Had 509's on my 106GTI, but in 195/45x15 size and liked them.

What about punctures? Does my memory fail me or did you get a nail in one on the run just after Xmas last year??? Apologies if I'm getting mixed up.
    Cheers.

CooperTrooper
    EAGLE NCT 5 FO 195/55 R16 87H

Are these the tyres fitted to my 16" 5 spokes? run flats?

if so, then they are available at a price of only £60.50 each on . www.mytyres.co.uk - sounds a good price anyways!

anyone know if the goodyears are particualarly squealy??

cheer!

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I bought TSW Apex 16 x 7 wheels with Yoko A509s from MiniSpares as a christmas present for myself. I put them on for the Xmas run and yes I got a nail in one! but the tyre did not deflate. Got it fixed the next day but on the way home from work (in the dark!)I hit a big pothole and this punctured the tyre in the sidewall, tried the BMW sealant but didn't work so had to drive home on the puncture (couple of miles) - took of the 16"s and stuck back on the 15"s.
    It was months later when I replaced the tyre and tried them again - I drove over the same road that I know well on the 15"s and then 16"s on a warm dry day.
    My opinion of the 16"s was - better grip, better turn in, better braking grip, harsher ride but less bouncy than 15", skipping on road imperfections, tramlining, less "agile", less brake feel, more vibration, hit the rear wheel arches on big bumps.
    Price wise it was £100 per Yoko or £40 per 175/65 x15"
    As I drive 40 miles of twisty, poor condition, back roads to work each day and do over 20,000 miles per year I decided to go back to the 15". I find the car drives & feels much better on the 15" wheels.
    I've still got the 16" (although I damaged the face of one dropping it taking them off :clown:) and can't decide if I should sell them or get a set of BMW mini 16" wheels and try the tyres on them.

Thanks Stu, I never forget a nail!
    It's a tricky one - security of the run-flat Vs. (possibly) better handling and ride with non-R/F tyres.....

I'd like to know if someone's gone from my OE Goodyears to something like Yokos in the same 16" size, but everybody seems to be going UP a size. There was an American 'S' in 'Go Mini' which was running 16's and apparently handled like a dream, but it had suspension mods and more semi-track rubber, so can't really compare that one. Thanks for all your info though - appreciate it.

Cooper Trooper - Yes they're run flats.To find out if your Goodyears are 'squealy', I recommend driving hard round corners....not blind ones though - that results in a whole lot of squealing - usually from what you run into! I haven't found mine squealy at all (except from a standing start with the traction control off), but then maybe I'm driving within the limits of the road and the tyres? Or just feart. Who knows.

COOPER TROOPER!!!!!!! STOP PRESS!!!!!
    The above Goodyear NCT 5's you mentioned AREN'T the runflat version. The runflat (fitted as Original Equipment on the MINI COOPER/S) is the “EMT” 'Extended Mobility Technology' version, which are priced at around £85.00 on the above site. I think a few folk have priced them cheaper through various local outlets though. Just thought I'd correct myself!

CooperTrooper
    elfman,

thought £60 sounded a bit good to be true!

regarding tyre squeal, i admit i drive like a clown, but sometimes, they squeal in second gear at 20mph! go on cobblestones and they squeal their way down the road, ive no traction control btw, but im not talkin squealing with wheelspin, just squealing for the sake of it!

anyone else tried any other make of run flats? im not sure i want to go to 'normal' tyres, cos knowin my luck, id be sure of a puncture . . .

:dead: