Winter Tyre Review Thread

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    The Dogfather
    As winter approaches I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about what people think of the different brands of winter tyres: -

So far I’ve had the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds, Nokian WRG2 and I’ve got a set of the Hankook I*Cepts ready to go on a set of spare wheels.

Nokian WRG2
    The best of the two sets I’ve had are the Nokian’s, they coped well with the snow and performed well even on warmer days. The were brilliant in all conditions even right at the limit. A great sporty tyre.

Dunlop Wintersport 3D
    The Dunlops were excellent in the cold and probably had a edge as far as traction went in the deep stuff but they seemed a bit woolly on warmer days.

I’d strongly recommend either brand but I’d go with the Nokian if you prefer a sportier drive.

Recommended Winter Tyres
    Nokian WRG2 - Craig, Vidal
    Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds - Vidal
    Toyo Snowproxies - Stoney, The Chief
    Hankook i*Cept - Alex
    Vred Wintrac Extreme - The Chief

Pending Review
    Goodyear Ultragrip - Duncan
    Nokian W+ - Craig
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 10th October 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I've got 2 new sets of winters this year the Nokian W+ on the Gp and a set of Vred Wintrac 4 Xtreme on the Sportage. Just fitted the winters on the punto as my sister wanted them on before I go on holiday next week.

Can't say how good they are yet, but I'll give an update once the weather turns.

I can only echo what Paul has said re the WRG2 Nokians. They were faultless for me over 2 bad winters . They were especially good I'n slushy carparks were everyone else was getting stuck (as summer tyres struggle with slush the most!). I also had to do a hill start on hard packed snow and ice (due to an inconsiderate driver coming down a hill ) and the car just drove up the hill like it was a dry summers day.

I would have had the WRG2's on both cars if they weren't so blooming expensive

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Don't know if this purely an Audi A4 diesel thing but I found the Bridgestone Potenzas fantactic in the snow last year As far as I know they're not meant to be a winter tyre so was amazed at how well they performed I drove from Falkirk to the Hillington (30 miles) on the west side of Glasgow every week day in all that snow last year and not once did it slip or slide They were brand spanking new at the time so we'll see how they cope this year with 14,000 miles under them
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    i have the Toyo's for the proper GP and have to say could not fault them can not mind what i had for my van last year but they where good got goodyear for this year for my van so will update once i have driven with them should be going on 2morow :)
    New sig coming soon

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Don't know if this purely an Audi A4 diesel thing but I found the Bridgestone Potenzas fantactic in the snow last year As far as I know they're not meant to be a winter tyre so was amazed at how well they performed I drove from Falkirk to the Hillington (30 miles) on the west side of Glasgow every week day in all that snow last year and not once did it slip or slide They were brand spanking new at the time so we'll see how they cope this year with 14,000 miles under them
    The front wheel drive and lazy diesel engine with the added weight will help . Plus lots of tread

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    i have the Toyo's for the proper GP and have to say could not fault them can not mind what i had for my van last year but they where good got goodyear for this year for my van so will update once i have driven with them should be going on 2morow :)
    Are they the snow proxies?

The Dogfather
    Can we keep this to proper winter tyres rather than summer tyres that did OK. There’s a huge difference in performance on snow.

SuperCooperS
    i have never bothered with winter tyres due to the fact that alot of people i know have been over trusting with their tyre selection and have ended up driving in winter with winter tyres in not much of a different style as anyone would drive in the summer with normal tyres. I know they are good for driving away from a standing start in deeper snow and grip that little bit more up and down hills, but i just increase my distance between other road users, use my gears a little more, drive slower and go gently on the brakes and, touch wood had never had any difficulties with standard tyres, even ones that are middle age with reduced tread!

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Got a of Goodyear Eagle ultragrip GW3s fitted to my spare 16" alloys today but not fitted them on the mini yet.
    Never had winter tyres before so will be interesting to see what difference they make.
    They are run flats which I was not sure about but the idea of not having to try and change a wheel on the narrow, twisty country roads I drive to work in the freezing pitch black won me over.

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooperS View Post
    i have never bothered with winter tyres due to the fact that alot of people i know have been over trusting with their tyre selection and have ended up driving in winter with winter tyres in not much of a different style as anyone would drive in the summer with normal tyres. I know they are good for driving away from a standing start in deeper snow and grip that little bit more up and down hills, but i just increase my distance between other road users, use my gears a little more, drive slower and go gently on the brakes and, touch wood had never had any difficulties with standard tyres, even ones that are middle age with reduced tread!
    The difference in braking and turning is huge. Its not all about getting away smoothly. I’ll give you a scenario that happened to me last winter.

Car coming towards me downhill brakes traction and starts to slide sideways into my lane as the road was cambered, I was able to initially slow down and then go around him on his side of the road quickly enough to avoid other on coming cars. The best I could have hoped to do with summer tyres would have been to stop and wait to be hit. The speeds would have been slow but it would have probably meant a new bumper/bonnet at the very least.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 10th October 2011 at 06:18 PM.