A good detailing session.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    GCA3N
    So I bought a few new products this week but I thought i'd spend the day giving all the products a good run through as well as the 3m rotary polisher I have on loan.

The routine started as usual with a good power rinse, then a wash with G101 APC roughly 1 part to 8 parts water. This stripped off most of the products off the car.

I then rinsed and done a full wash with meguires hyper wash. Now I love this stuff the foaming is for me second to none and always get a good result.

Anyway car washed I gave it a quick spray with autosmart glue and tar remover which removed all the stuck on tar. I left for 10 minutes then re-washed the car.

This time to test it out I used snow foam from cleanyourcar.com. This stuff is half the price of the megs and it was clear early on why. There was no where near as much foaming on the same concentration, infact I had to double the amount I was using to get a similar foam.

Once complete I then clay bared the car using megs clay bar and poorboys carnuba detailing spray as lubrication.

It got one final wash again as above.

Now it was time for the 3M polisher.

I was apprehensive at first but I thought I need to be brave. I wanted to start with the roof so using a medium cutting pad and medium cutting compound I started. I masked off the roof into 6 sections to keep it simple (1 panel at a time.

At first it was strange and I thought "Oh No this is hard" but after 10 minutes I was getting the hand of it.

I finished the first panel and when I buffed it off, the swirls had gone but to my horror loads of holograms. I kinda freaked a bit but I new when I went to the finer compound this would go.

Anyway finished of the roof and then changed to a fine pad and fine (anti hologram) compound.

My initial scare was soon gone as I started to see some awesome results.

The machine is actually very easy to use and results were so much quicker than a DA. I mean I spent about 30-40 minutes on the roof and the results were excellent.

Now a bit more confident I went onto do the rest of the car. Rather than using the cutting pad I decided just to use the polishing one with fine compound. After about 90 minutes of fairly hard work I had completed the machine side.

I was tempted at this point to do a machine polish with autoglym super resin but opted to go straight to the chemical guys black light, so the whole car got a coat of that.

So easy to use and the results are breathtaking. The thing I love about it is you can do the whole car in a oner then after 15 minutes buff off to give an amazing seal. It really is the best product I think I have ever used.

Once done it was time for a good wax coat. I opted for the collinite 476 wax.
    Another very recent product to my repertoire it is another must have.

A good tip (from big craig) is to wet the applicator pad you use before hand and apply 2 thin coats.

TBH it is a wee bit harder to use than say the dodo juice purple haze pro but I feel the end result is better. It's definitely one you don't want to let dry on the paintwork so I applied to small areas and buffed as I went round the car. This stuff is also an awesome glass cleaner BTW so that was used to get the glass work perfect.

Next on the agenda was the wheels and tyres. The wheels to be honest have some coats of sealant on already but I thought I'd go over them again with poorboys wheel sealant. The tyres got a once over with megs trye Gel. A great product but remember to apply sparingly and allow to dry before you drive.

Last to be done was the trim. Now I have had my car 12 months and this is the third time I have treated the trim so this stuff goes along way. I am referring to autosmart trim ultra. I applied using a small pad and buffed off the excess.

I done the inside yesterday so no need to go there. Ok I guess it's picture time.

Oh my Vi unit too which is awesome

The proof, all my cloths being washed by the good lady

Anyway I got to sit back with a brew and look at my results.

The pics don't do it justice my car has never looked so good. Thanks for looking folks.

MINIme:)

STUNNING!!! I wish I had your skill, patience and dedication. Does the Scottish weather not break your heart after all your effort?
    Wish I had a driveway so i could even wash my own car - instead of taking it to the soft cloth car wash over the road...

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIme:) View Post

STUNNING!!! I wish I had your skill, patience and dedication. Does the Scottish weather not break your heart after all your effort?
    Wish I had a driveway so i could even wash my own car - instead of taking it to the soft cloth car wash over the road...
    It is hard but fun keeping it clean

Cheers for the comments.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Chortle, chortle... Can see right up your shorts in one of those pics.

Seriously though mate, stunning effort! I love the way a good few members on here get their cars home from the dealers then spend the next few years keeping it BETTER than showroom condition.

Gave our MINI a good wash today - did the full details earlier this year - and as I was wiping it dry I couldn't help think... "this just doesn't 'look' 4 1/2 years old."

9/10 dude. You loose one point 'cos of the shorts incident.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Jings, did you wash it ?!?!?

Nice wet look . Very shiny

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Erm... ahem... just thought, should this not be in the Car Care Forum?

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Drifter
    As always Greig - Car is looking Excellent - First Class Job, you'll certainly need your sunglasses on to look at it... ...The shine on that roof is just amazing as is the rest of the car...

Feel you photo's show it off well, and think you should be well pleased with the final result, with all the hard work and effort that you've put into it...

GCA3N
    Cheers everyone your comments are very appreciated

Andy your a hoot mate, and you must have good eyesight too

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Its looking good, however I cant believe you machine polished a whole mini with a rotary in 90 mins. You really need to let the polish break down more, that way you will get a better result.

To put into perspective when I was doing Elfmans black roof (which wasnt that bad as he looks after it well, as you do yours) I was 3 hours on that one panel. If you rush you get holograms. Letting the polish break down until there is none there slowly building up the speed then slowly reducing it back down so as to burnish the finish really helps. I still swap to a finishing polish but it makes for less finishing work.
    Get yourself a tripod halogen lamp from a DIY store and direct this onto the panel you are working on, that way you will really see if you have corrected it.

GCA3N
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    Its looking good, however I cant believe you machine polished a whole mini with a rotary in 90 mins. You really need to let the polish break down more, that way you will get a better result.

To put into perspective when I was doing Elfmans black roof (which wasnt that bad as he looks after it well, as you do yours) I was 3 hours on that one panel. If you rush you get holograms. Letting the polish break down until there is none there slowly building up the speed then slowly reducing it back down so as to burnish the finish really helps. I still swap to a finishing polish but it makes for less finishing work.
    Get yourself a tripod halogen lamp from a DIY store and direct this onto the panel you are working on, that way you will really see if you have corrected it.
    #

Totally new to this so really trial and error just now Ian. (times were approximate was probably slightly longer ) Any tips will be greatly appreciated though. What you upto 3 weeks today I have a mate with a caymen S which has been keyed. Going to craigs on the friday and saturday but help from a pro like yourself would be ace. It's a favour for a mate BTW so I'm not getting paid.