run flats for non run flats?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mark1984
    i have run flats but they are realy pricey i can not get them any cheaper than £185 a corner for the brigestone potenza so my question is has any one ever stuck normal tyres on instead of run flats? if what make etc? i have been told that you are only ment to run runflats on the r105 rims i have not sure why probebly to get more money out of me?
    thanks in advance mark

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Yes lots have, I took my Cooper off RF just to get ride of the harsh ride. Even Mini has taken Mini off them, Rf is now an option. I dont know about the R105 rims...

I have a can of gel in the boot and foot pump.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    All mini rims can take normal tyres - don't believe their rubbish !!

Tyres are a very personal choice, but falken fk452 or Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are a good choice . Also toyo t1r. I've used them before and been very happy. You'll get them for approx £60 to £80 a tyre

Try camskill for good prices

Drifter
    The Cooper that I've just bought has Run Flats on it as well and this is an area that when the time comes wouldn't be sure what to do for the best, I know that Run Flats are a lot more expensive but if you put on normal tyres you would then have to source the tyre inflation compressor kit as well...

Apart from that, all four would have to be changed, I take it you can't mix Run Flat and Normal tyres, I take it your insurance would be alright as your changing the specification of the car as I've read on other sites this would affect your insurance, don't see why it should but don't know if this is genuine...???

Also seen this also on another site...

Question - Can you fit normal tyres to a car set up for Run Flat tyres?

No, you should not put non-Run Flat tyres on a car set up for Run Flat tyres! There are two main reasons for this...

• Because Run Flat tyres are very hard due to the reinforced sidewall, the suspension on the car is set much softer so the ride is normal for occupants. If a normal tyre is fitted then the ride will feel very soft, the handling will be adversely affected and could present serious safety concerns...

• As the car will not have a spare or anyway to deal with a flat tyre, if non-Run Flat tyres are fitted, the car will be stranded if a puncture does occur...

I like Mark would like to know what is the best solution to this is or are you better sticking with Run Flats...

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Well to answer the question I informed my insurance and there was no problem, I was anal about it on the phone and got the girl to be absolute 100% sure.

The other thing BMW do both RF and Non on the same car. We have two Coopers a 57 plate that was on RF and a 10 plate Cooper that came from the factory with normal tyres.

Both Mini's will have the same set up, the only differnece is my car has the sticker giving tyre pressure for RF and the Other Mini Normal.
    Last edited by Stewart; 11th September 2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

The Dogfather
    I've been running on non run flats for 62k on my 'current' MINI and did 30k in my first Cooper, without any problems.

The other fact, that Stewart has mentioned, is that MINI now supply cars without run flats from the factory, yet the suspension components are exactly the same.

The person who posted that on the other site is an ill-informed moron, who's decided to share his ignorance with others.

The only difference to the handling and ride is its massively improved, grip in the wet is better as well.

All I would say is fit decent tyres not the cheapo chinese one. Avoid Linglong, Triangle, Goodride and Nankang.

The FK452 are good but wear out and become noisy, the Rainsports 2 can be faulted in any way especially in the wet, whilst the TR1s are hopeless when worn.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 11th September 2011 at 07:35 PM.

The Dogfather
    Oh, one other thing, fit winter tyres in winter if you live anywhere that gets regular snowfall.

Drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Buffoon View Post

The person who posted that on the other site is an ill-informed moron, who's decided to share his ignorance with others.
    The information I posted earlier was taken from Halfords, ( Say No More ) Website for Tyres, I knew I'd be better informed asking you guys...

A little bit clearer now regarding the tyres, it's now all down to what make I'd prefer, As for Snow we had plenty here last year in the Central Belt and my Mini One coped quite well, But then again I was on smaller Rims and Tyres...

Cheers...

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I can honestly say that winter tyres are a great investment

Mini Mad
    Car
    solid gold 2004 (BMW) MINI COOPER
    i put these on this year instead of putting run flats on and they corner a lot better and less road noise too http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/br...en/ziex-ze-912