silverstone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by Crombers View Post
    Just 'joshin' ya rocket

Yes Hamiltons overtake on Alonso was impressive but when I see a red car doing any overtaking I'm just ever so slightly biased
    Ah got ya, easy to see why you get excited it doesn't happen all that often.

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    Ah got ya, easy to see why you get excited it doesn't happen all that often.
    Mmmmmmm........... ok then 1-0 to you

Watching this space..............

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone on here about the team orders situation, but did Coulthard not slow down and let Hakkenen past in Australia when team orders were banned, or was it that move that banned team orders in the first place?
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

The Dogfather
    Quote Originally Posted by N16SHP View Post
    I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone on here about the team orders situation, but did Coulthard not slow down and let Hakkenen past in Australia when team orders were banned, or was it that move that banned team orders in the first place?
    I thought that was an agreement between him and Mika, not the teams orders. He even said back in 2000 that there was no team orders at McLaren

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    I thought that was an agreement between him and Mika, not the teams orders. He even said back in 2000 that there was no team orders at McLaren
    Ah cool, thanks for that Paul. I was sure there was a reason said behind it, just couldn't remember.

The Dogfather
    I google'd it as I vaguely remembered the incident and it went against what I've always believed (heard) about Mclaren not having team orders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHd8n1D4wkM

Mika was an awesome driver, in a more (consistently) competitive car he would have been held in the same regard as Schumacher IMO.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 17th July 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    In the same way, I think had David Coulthard not had Hakkinen as a team mate, we'd of had another British world champion?

Comparing Mika to Schumacher - in Michael's first career, he could really transcend a weaker car; this is to me what marked him out as one of the greats - the gap to his team-mate was always higher in an inferior car. When the car was better (i.e. 2001-2004 Ferrari's), he didn't have as much of a gap, and didn't look as impressive.

This is the one area he was much better than any of his contemporaries IMO - he could really out-drive a weaker car

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Comparing Mika to Schumacher - in Michael's first career, he could really transcend a weaker car; this is to me what marked him out as one of the greats - the gap to his team-mate was always higher in an inferior car. When the car was better (i.e. 2001-2004 Ferrari's), he didn't have as much of a gap, and didn't look as impressive.

This is the one area he was much better than any of his contemporaries IMO - he could really out-drive a weaker car
    The key to it was to be able to out-drive the car, but to do it without making errors. Hamilton has the same ability but makes more mistakes in the process. Now, you could argue that with unlimited testing Schmacher knew the car better so knew exactly where the limits were and what was going to happen, either way it's impressive.

Mika stuck with McLaren through the lean times and was rewarded with a championship as he took a punt that at some point they'd come good. He was good enough to be a multiple world champion. Had the car been there then arguably Coultard could have won it as well, he was always there or thereabouts but always seemed to get car trouble.