Worth Changing Pads?

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Morning All,

I'm taking my brakes off to get the callipers painted, and just wondering if it's worth changing the pads? At the moment, I've just got the OEM ones, and as far as I'm aware, have not been changed since new. The car is 4 years old, but only covered 20k, so I'm thinking it's probably time for a change.

I've read plenty over the past few days about different pads, but also would it be worth changing the disks too, and how would I know if the disks I have are nearing the end of their life??
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Depends on your driving style, if you are happy with the performance then stick with what you've got.
    Based on that you can decide whether to upgrade or replace.

To check for signs of wear on the disks check where the pads make contact during braking and see how much of a lip is present on the outer edge which will indicate the amount of wear. If it "seems" significant then a change may be needed. Can't obviously give you dimensions like BMW would refer to.
    Also, looking from the front of the car rotate the disk and see if it runs straight, or use a pad as a guide in the caliper.

For the pads, that depends on how much is left, if the material is almost at the metal part of the pad then defo replace or upgrade, but, if there is a decent amount then try to imagine that when the pads were new and you've now done 20k miles then work out what useage you've had.

Mon The Fish always suggests a certain pad type (I can't remember which) but for normal road use i would suggest GTT spiroslot disks and your preferred pad.

Doug_m
    Would it be carbotech pads your thinking of alan?

Think these are well rated. Think there is diff kinds.

I have gtt spiroslots and are do perfect for my driving, however others 'rubbish' them. Personal pref at the end of the day.

Forbes
    I found my spiroslots on the Cooper over heated fairly quickly, could of been the fluid but the fade was bad. As seen on the Highland run where I was unable to wait with the others on Applecross as my brakes were gone

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    ok GTT will not fit the R56 brakes as they are the same as the R53 JCW ones

i have just put OEM drilled and groved disks and mintex pads and what a diffrence in the braking much better so if changing your pads i would go for mintex

and for the disks try here this is where i got mine for £155 deliverd

http://www.bmminiparts.com/DiagramVi...769&MOSP=48020

and pads here

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?mode=search
    New sig coming soon

Doug_m
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
    I found my spiroslots on the Cooper over heated fairly quickly, could of been the fluid but the fade was bad. As seen on the Highland run where I was unable to wait with the others on Applecross as my brakes were gone
    Ive dot 5.1 and is ok