Detailing. [ iron x ]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    euan
    Guys, need some advice.

I washed my wifes car at the weekend and it was covered in tar spots, so knowing I'd read about tardis on here I thought I'd check it out, and then came across this post as well. Am I right in thinking that to get the tar off I'm probably better with tardis, but that this stuff might be worth a go in the first instance?

I'm slightly loathe to tardis the car as it was waxed the last time it was washed and it's a fair old job (she has a C-MAX - LOADS of body panels!!!) but if it's the only way I'll need to try it.

Ian, interesting what you said about the tar spots on alloys, mine are in a real state and my usual alloy cleaner (autoglym) just didn't shift them. In fact, I broke my brush trying to do it so need to get a new one! Can you use Tardis on alloys or is this stuff a better bet?

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Tardis and Iron cut are 2 different things.

Tardis removes bitumen type spots such as tar. Iron X removes mettalic based spots such as metal filings from railway lines that have landed on the car and metallic rust sposts that have come from brake discs.

I would use tardis for the tar on the car and the tar on the wheels. Its a much cheaper product as well. Im sure I pay about £15 for 5 ltr. You can get some iron cut if you are having difficulty removing the black spots from the wheels. Try tardis in the first instance but if it wont shift it then iron cut should, it is expensive though.

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by ianking View Post
    Tardis and Iron cut are 2 different things.

Tardis removes bitumen type spots such as tar. Iron X removes mettalic based spots such as metal filings from railway lines that have landed on the car and metallic rust sposts that have come from brake discs.

I would use tardis for the tar on the car and the tar on the wheels. Its a much cheaper product as well. Im sure I pay about £15 for 5 ltr. You can get some iron cut if you are having difficulty removing the black spots from the wheels. Try tardis in the first instance but if it wont shift it then iron cut should, it is expensive though.
    Great stuff, will order some of that up and get the arms working to wax it up again! Any suggestions where from? Polished Bliss were doing it for £20 quid for 5L so if you can advise somewhere cheaper would be appreciative!

Car
    I get mine from the autosmart rep that visits me.
    You could always go on ebay and buy 1 litre worth from a seller on there.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    500ml Iron X arrived today. Gonna get stuck into the FL2 tomorrow. Full detail. Big job.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

I gave mine ago and it was only effective on the exhaust of allans car a the wheels on my mini, I'm guessing because my car is well detailed there was not iron deposits on the car, either that or the ironx shampoo is rubbish
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    I'll Interesting Fi...

I'll let you know how I get on. I have noticed some "rust" looking spots on the bodywork, and I can only imagine these are iron filings from the road or brake deposits etc, as there's no way the bodywork is actually rusting.

The directions on the bottle say to wash the car, then spray on, leave for a few minutes then rub in with a damp cloth. Doesn't sound like they are describing it as a shampoo. How did you use it Fi?

A.

it's soap gel i have

1. Rinse well the surface using water power wash to remove dust & contaminants.
    2. Pour on wet sponge, and wash the surface well.
    3. While rubbing the surface, the soap gel will start to change color.
    4. Rinse thoroughly the surface. Done.
    Cooper Coupe...

Car
    K. Mines is...

1. Wash the surface.
    2. Shake well the bottle.
    3. Spray on. Wait 2-3 min., while contaminants change color to purple-red.
    4. Rub in with damp sponge. Keep surface wet. Avoid drying!
    5. Rinse well with water.

Don't drink! lol

My bottle says.. "Iron.X Powerful iron filings & contaminants cleaner. Improved version. New, squash flowers smell."

It comes with it's own spray head nozzle.

A.

Car
    Andy you have the traditional iron X and Fi hasa the new gel type one.

I have the traditional one.

I wash the car, remove tar then spray with iron X. You will see after a couple mins it will turn purple as it dissolves the iron. Obviously if no iron then it wont turn purple. Then I give it another jet wash down to remove the stuff before going onto clay process