Mini Rocketman Concept - The New mini MINI!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Why didn't they just bring the MINI out in this scale to begin with?

The Clubman came out because the MINI Hatch didn't have enough room, then the Countryman was 'necessary' because the Clubbie still wasn't big/practical enough for families, then the Paceman concept appeared because the Countryman's image wasn't sporty enough or something, now there's a desperate need for a SMALLER 'Rocketman' MINI?

Jeez, I wish they'd make up their minds!!! Does ANYBODY know what a MINI actually IS these days? It's apparently EVERYTHING, or maybe nothing...

I really am getting a bit fed up with the whole thing. It's like kids in a sweetshop - I want THAT, no, I want THAT, no, I want THAT!

Wonder if all these 'New Kids around the block' will affect residual values of our trusty old Hatches?
    So are you giving up on Mini then and trading in for something else!

I heard Corsa's are quite good!! Hee hee
    Sometimes, i like to sit on the floor, pull my knees up to my chest, wrap my arms around my legs and tuck my head in.

Why?.......Because that's how i roll.

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    I'd have one of these. The mileage quoted would be ideal for a daily runaround. Not so sure about the roof. Well I would like the roof but not with a UJ on it would be ace with a saltire. Agree with lots of the things that others have said about once its translated into a road car and defo about the status thing. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy a mini because it was built by an 'uppercrust' manufacturer though it did register as being likely to ensure some reliability, my choice was because it looked funky, fun and a bit different. However I would add that as minis have become as common as any other car on the road that many buy them for their perceived status. A prime example today was being snubbed by a woman parked in front of me with an 07 S who was taking her infant to the nursery attached to Catriona's school. My friendly nod of approval was met with an icy stare before she looked Dougall up and down as if he was something she'd run over. The two worded phrase that ran through my head ended with 'you'. Stuck up git! But laughable because my Dougall prob cost more than her car Grrrr! Can't stand snobbie folk like that, especially when they drive minis. Reinforces for me the status thing. Mind you as Catriona had already bolted for the school gate she was maybe snooty because she was entering a private nursery with no awareness that I've got the t-shirt.

Jeez what a garble. Sorry! Friday - long week! But back on topic I like this, it's defo a mini

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I see this new three cylinder being brought in over some of the range. Be good if they could have the Cooper three Cylinder in town and four when you need it. Give it an eco button to drop a Cylinder.

CAR are predicting an all new MINI in 2013 based upon a platform and drivetrain shared with the 2014 FWD BMW 1 Series. Power will from a 3 cylinder 1.5 litre engine, in the JCW's case it will produce 230bhp. I imagine that the JCW launch will be somewhat later than the rest of the model range so probably autumn 2014 at the earliest.
    Last edited by Stewart; 26th February 2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by G17RDY View Post
    So are you giving up on Mini then and trading in for something else!
    I heard Corsa's are quite good!! Hee hee
    I'm not giving up on MINI, I've been faithful for 10 years. But I AM giving up on trying to keep up with every new 'Special Edition' and New Model Concept which appear with greater frequency than repeats on 'Dave'.

I still can't work out what the Rocketman is for. Like I said previously - it used to be that the MINI was TOO SMALL, which spawned the larger variants form the Clubbie upwards, now what? It's too BIG so we need a Munchkin version? It's as if the motoring public, MINI owners now sadly included, like everyone else in the Wonderful World of Consumerism, have such a short attention span and low boredom threshold these days (and obviously a surfeit of disposable income - although I certainly don't know anyone in that situation at the moment) that they constantly need 'New Stuff' to keep them interested - and buying. Kerr-Chiiiiing!

My personal feeling is that when MINI was launched, and for years afterwards, it was unique and stood out from the herd. The Thinking behind it was different, the Design was different, the way it Performed was different, and - almost as importantly - the way it was PERCEIVED by the people who bought it was different - look how the New MINI scene took off, it's why NMS is here today. It was a MINI, not a 'Soft-Roader', not a 'Sports Utility Vehicle', not a 'Catch-All' Brand... and now that's just what it's becoming. I suppose that's just the way things are these days, some people will call it 'Progress' - I call it Conformity. Sheilz's tale is a wee snap-shot of how things have unfortunately changed. Maybe I'm just the Old Hippie in the Wine Bar, who remembers when it was a real pub!

BTW, I drove Novas for years, and while the Corsa is a decent motor - it ain't in the same league as the MINI. So no, I won't be swapping. Now, something like a 200+BHP Triple-Carbed MGC in red with sorted brakes, suspension and a set of nice shiny Minilites... I might be tempted.
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 28th February 2011 at 02:28 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

The Dogfather
    There are currently 9 MINI's in our works car park, that's more than any other car. They're far too common now to be special.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    There are currently 9 MINI's in our works car park, that's more than any other car. They're far too common now to be special.
    Does that mean the dream is over...? Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Mine still feels pretty damn special when I punt it down a good road though!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

I'm not giving up on MINI, I've been faithful for 10 years. But I AM giving up on trying to keep up with every new 'Special Edition' and New Model Concept which appear with greater frequency than repeats on 'Dave'.

I still can't work out what the Rocketman is for. Like I said previously - it used to be that the MINI was TOO SMALL, which spawned the larger variants form the Clubbie upwards, now what? It's too BIG so we need a Munchkin version? It's as if the motoring public, MINI owners now sadly included, like everyone else in the Wonderful World of Consumerism, have such a short attention span and low boredom threshold these days (and obviously a surfeit of disposable income - although I certainly don't know anyone in that situation at the moment) that they constantly need 'New Stuff' to keep them interested - and buying. Kerr-Chiiiiing!

My personal feeling is that when MINI was launched, and for years afterwards, it was unique and stood out from the herd. The Thinking behind it was different, the Design was different, the way it Performed was different, and - almost as importantly - the way it was PERCEIVED by the people who bought it was different - look how the New MINI scene took off, it's why NMS is here today. It was a MINI, not a 'Soft-Roader', not a 'Sports Utility Vehicle', not a 'Catch-All' Brand... and now that's just what it's becoming. I suppose that's just the way things are these days, some people will call it 'Progress' - I call it Conformity. Sheilz's tale is a wee snap-shot of how things have unfortunately changed. Maybe I'm just the Old Hippie in the Wine Bar, who remembers when it was a real pub!

BTW, I drove Novas for years, and while the Corsa is a decent motor - it ain't in the same league as the MINI. So no, I won't be swapping. Now, something like a 200+BHP Triple-Carbed MGC in red with sorted brakes, suspension and a set of nice shiny Minilites... I might be tempted.
    I actually agree with you - There seems to have been a real explosion on the amount of models MINI have added to their range.
    Still more to come, with the annoncement of the Paceman as well, wonder what will be next, a MINI BUS..... ha ha get it........no but seriously, how many models do we have now actual + planned concepts - Are we up to 7 so far??
    And then like you said, all the special editions, Camden, JCW50, Graphite, Etc etc, the list goes on and on...

I guess if you want your MINI to stand out from the crowd nowadays, and it is becoming crowded out there! is to make alterations to it that are as individual as you are.

I remember MINI stated that every MINI that rolls out of the factory will be 1 or 2 in a million - As there is so many choices to spec it up!! But looking at every one for sale looks like 1 in 5 are the same!!
    Last edited by G17RDY; 1st March 2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Sometimes, i like to sit on the floor, pull my knees up to my chest, wrap my arms around my legs and tuck my head in.

Why?.......Because that's how i roll.

Quote Originally Posted by G17RDY View Post
    I guess if you want your MINI to stand out from the crowd nowadays, and it is becoming crowded out there! is to make alterations to it that are as individual as you are.
    I reckon if you want to stand out from the crowd, order a low-spec model and keep it bog-standard. It'll be the collector's item in ten years! (and it won't depreciate as much in relative terms as an option-laden purchase).

Resident old yin.
    Elfman,

I agree with a lot of what you say

However, I would much rather be without the pumped up MINIs (i.e. the Countryman) and have a chic, cheap wee MINI - i.e. the new concept, at least a version of it.

I would love a REAL MINI, small fun and cheap. How many do you think they would sell if they were fast and cheap?

I never use the rear seat in my MINI. I would really like a two seater with a secure space for my golf clubs. I am really interested in the Coupe, but it will not doubt be ridiculously priced.

It appears that car prices are not keeping pace with the rest of the world. Pretty much all new cars (perhaps especially the MINI) are ridiculously priced. MINI would do well to produce a people's car, for real people, not just the wealthy!

Resident old yin.
    I reckon if you want to stand out from the crowd, order a low-spec model and keep it bog-standard. It'll be the collector's item in ten years! (and it won't depreciate as much in relative terms as an option-laden purchase).
    I'm thinking that is exactly what my next MINI will be (if I don't look elsewhere) as I am not sure I want to spend as much on a car with fuel being so expensive etc.