16" JCW brakes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Certainly, the pads on standard R56 S brakes might as well be made of cheese. The R53 JCW pads are a lot better, but you can get better.

To the OP, stick some EBC yellow's, or Mintex 1144's in at the same time as new fluid, and see what you think - it'll cost you under £100 for the parts, which is a lot cheaper than the JCW Brembo's.

It's the pads that make the biggest difference to brakes

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    And obviously, the JCW Brembo's won't fit with 16's (and some 17's too).

Mon, just for argument's sake, could the JCW Brembo's be improved? Braided Lines? Different Pads? I'm quite happy with them, but it'd be of interest when it comes time to change pads etc.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Thanks guys. The JCW 4 pots aren't an option as although I have got new 17" wheels they still won't fit over the bigger brakes. An upgrade as Mon suggested is however an option at some point but considering my funds position not something for the short term. Out of interest would these type of mods impact my warranty in any way.

That would depend on how pernickety your dealer was if you had a problem... Using different pads shouldn't really be an issue, but basically anything you do to the car could arguably invalidate the warranty.

If you had a problem in the area where you had 'modified' the car, you might find yourself in a position where you had to prove that the mod didn't cause the problem, but if you had the brakes done, and the engine developed a fault, the dealer couldn't really say that one led to the other. It's one of those areas where you take a chance. If you did decide to alter the brake spec in future, it might be an idea to inform your insurer too, just in case.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Changing pads is the same as changing tyres - won't affect your warranty, it's a consumable part. Anyway, the dealer wouldn't even notice the pads weren't OEM.

Elfman - not sure on the 'midrange' options available for the Brembo's, but Carbotech XP8 pads are available for them. They are amazing pads, like hitting a wall, but they squeal a bit, and if you don't clean your wheels every 2 weeks or so the dust will eat your alloys.

EBC yellow (don't try the green!) and Mintex 1144 seem good 'fast road' pads, would imagine you could get them for the Brembos

Braided hoses and ATE Super Blue fluid made a big difference for me, without changing the pads

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Cheers Mon! You are a MINI Oracle!