Offshore job, where to look?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Right guys I know that there are a few of you in here who do this for a living in all sorts of differing departments which ever they may be, I would really like to see about getting a job offshore been wanting to do so for ages and ages!! (Alan knows this already) I am just fed up with working where I am currently, working my a$$ off for what I consider to be peanuts, I'd much rather be working my a$$ off for decent wages on a rig or something and also get the chance to get decent holidays along with it. I mean I am not afraid of doing hard work, I consider myself to be fit and healthy and just need to know how to get my foot in the door?

The thing is that I just don't know where to start looking? I've looked a lot on the net and the majority of sites want you to down load there book/info for $30/£30 etc etc to get the info on how and where to look for these jobs. No way am I doing that. Theres so many different places and just dont know which ones would be legitimate and which ones aren't.

The only thing that I have that might help me is that I am a qualified motor mechanic even tho it's been 14 years now since I left the mechanics trade, but they reckon you dont necessarily need any experience to get a job offshore, an entry level job will do me, at least I would have my foot in the door so to speak and could then work my way up, I am prepared to do anything . I just hope my age won't go against me either, im no youngster anymore (38)

If any of you guys have any contacts or info that may help me, it would be very much appreciated guys, very much so.

Thank you guys

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Working off shore would do me as well. Certainly need to look at else something with my pending possible redundancy. Will more than likely be a career change for me as very little jobs in civil engineering at the moment.

Doug_m
    Alot of my mates are working offshore in the oil/gas industry.
    As with many jobs its alot about who u know or if u are well trained and documented(as u are) in which u shouldnt have a problem getting a job. As far a i know u will have to do alot of chasing of companies to get a interview etc...
    Also u will have more of a chance if u have done ur survival!

Im in the wrong trade for switching to offshore. Always wish id trained to be a engineer at my work and not a joiner :( damn it lol

Best of luck anyways. I wouldnt mind a 2wks work 2 off rota or 2 on 3 off.
    Try norweigen sector, mostly 2 on 4 off, how awesome would that be!!

Ayrshire09
    Really Looking into this at the moment also as the building trade is on its arse here. Im a time served joiner but still quite young at 23, but was hoping that wouldnt stop me getting some sort of job out there, only down side is the survival course costs an arm and a leg.

Fraser.

GCA3N
    If anyone wants info where to look and what you need pm me and I'll send you my number better discussing it over the phone.

Doug_m
    Quote Originally Posted by GCA3N View Post
    If anyone wants info where to look and what you need pm me and I'll send you my number better discussing it over the phone.
    How abt i give you my details, you get me a job?

Minimynx
    I know this might be slighty off what you're looking for but I work for a Caterpillar dealership & we are always looking for engineers in workshop, specshop, on site etc mainly due to our experienced engineers going to Africa for the mega bucks, anyway there's an open evening coming up soon for apprenticeships, vacancies etc.

I can find out more info if anybody's interested.

mini-pea
    Try oilandgasjobs & jobserve

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Drilling contractors may be a good option for you with your mechanical background. If you have no one to put your name forward then perhaps put your CV out and about. I guess P&J or internet would be as good a way as any to identify suitable companies. Good luck with it

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    Drilling contractors may be a good option for you with your mechanical background. If you have no one to put your name forward then perhaps put your CV out and about. I guess P&J or internet would be as good a way as any to identify suitable companies. Good luck with it
    As Sheilz says try the P&J on a Friday the jobs supplement usually has a number of vacancies.
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!