Recording TV SHows

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Ok, my 3rd Archos device is acting up.
    I use it only for recording TV Shows and Movies off my cable box and watching ripped DVD's that I own for my viewing only when i'm away working or travelling.
    Basically, i use it a lot.

I'm on the lookout for a replacement, so, does anyone else have anything else that they use?
    Can the iPad be connected to a cable box to allow recordings?
    I appreciate the iPad hard drive is limited but i could be flexible like recording onto a dedicated device then transfer to the iPad what i want to watch

Anyone got any ideas? I'm fed up with the Archos failing

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Answered my own problem with this Hauppauge DVR

euan
    Now that looks an interesting box. I'd want it for other purposes (backing stuff off from my Virgin box to my NAS) so will be interested to see your thoughts on it Alan.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Finally bought it today, must say first impressions are good.
    Only one wee fault is that i can't see how to reduce the recording resolution, i might have to run the file through other software to reduce it

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    Finally bought it today, must say first impressions are good.
    Only one wee fault is that i can't see how to reduce the recording resolution, i might have to run the file through other software to reduce it
    From the web site you referenced:

"Recording format:
    up to 1080i from component video (YCrCb or YPrPb)
    NTSC: 720p60, 1080i60, 480i60, 480p60
    PAL: 720p50, 1080i50, 576p50, 576i50, 480p50, 480i50
    Note: the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i, 720P records at 720P, etc. Any other format conversions needs to be done with the MediaConvert program (supplied)."

So it looks like there should be software with the machine that let's you change the resolution.

A.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Well spotted Andy, checked it out and it's quite limited, so, i'll have to invest in a conversion programme or at least update my Xilisoft one

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    The recording resolution is driven by whatever the cable box recorded it at, so, the shows i was recording were recorded from HD channels and therefore were quite high in resolution, however, i recorded a non HD channel and the size was significantly smaller and i must say were no less better a picture on my laptop.

Not sure what the picture would be on a TV screen played from the same laptop but then that's not what i'm recording the shows for, so, well happy

And turns out the Archos is ok, but, i prefer the new Hauppage as i can record straight to the PC, edit and crop out the adverts easier.................. so, anyone wanna buy an Archos