Starting Problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wheelspin Kid
    Car
    mini cooper red/white
    Hi Guys

Hope you can help.Having problems starting my car thought it was the battery but I have had it checked and its ok as is the alternator.

Totally confused as I can drive around in it with no problems for a week or so then just out the blue it wont start. Starts no bother first time with a jump start. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanx Audrey

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Intermittent coil pack issue? Does it try to start at all ?? Or does the ignition just tick like the battery is flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Does sound like the battery is not holding its charge but if you've had it checked then I'm a bit stumped
    How long does it run for after you've jump started it..??
    If it runs OK for a few days then I'd rule out the alternator. Still sound like the battery to me tho
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Intermittent coil pack issue? Does it try to start at all ?? Or does the ignition just tick like the battery is flat?
    Funny you should meantion that...the missus says ours did this yesterday She say it ticked twice then fired up...weird
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Wheelspin Kid
    Car
    mini cooper red/white
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

Just ticks like the battery is flat

Wheelspin Kid
    Car
    mini cooper red/white
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Does sound like the battery is not holding its charge but if you've had it checked then I'm a bit stumped
    How long does it run for after you've jump started it..??
    If it runs OK for a few days then I'd rule out the alternator. Still sound like the battery to me tho
    Can run for about a week then it happens again. Battery is reading 12V do you think the battery could be the problem?

Wheelspin Kid
    Car
    mini cooper red/white
    Meant to say that sometimes it starts no bother in the morning then I go somewhere stop and it wont start again

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Did the garage do a battery health check? If it's holding a charge then it's prob not that.. Also if while the cars running your getting about 13/14 volts at the battery then the alternator is working...

My money is on the coil pack... Or a battery that is on it's way put and is faulty but sometimes holds a charge

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Funny you should meantion that...the missus says ours did this yesterday She say it ticked twice then fired up...weird
    Mutleys way of saying "gonna take me for a LONG blast ffs"

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Disconnect the battery terminals and make sure all is perfectly clean.
    Then try again, if the same result it is likely, not definitely, the battery that's not holding a constant charge, am assuming the alternator check showed an output of at least 13 volts?