snow good

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Resident old yin.
    Loads of snow where I live, the MINI stays at home tomorrow.

MINI is OK in the snow but if it is deep like it is now or last winter it grounds.

Try turning off your ASC if you have if. My R56 Cooper could not pull away as when the wheels spin it cut the power, turned it off and away I went.

The Dogfather
    Obviously any car will get stuck if you try to get through snow too deep, however we had 6" of snow last Thursday night and I still managed to drive the 35 miles to work on a mix of unploughed compacted snow roads without a single problem. Now we've had a lot more snow since then and there are some roads I won't attempt without a snow shovel as a back up.

My neighbour who has an impreza (4WD) stayed home because she couldn't get it off the drive.

If you want to stay moving buy winters or buy a bus pass.

I'll just add last year I went out to find out what the limit was for the tyres I have, on the flat I only got suck if the snow was 18" deep if I didn't keep my momentum up. I could easily stop/restart in 12" on the flat. Hills are a challenge but as long as you keep momentum going then your fine, just don't expect to be able to restart on anything more than a few inches when on a steep incline.
    Last edited by The Dogfather; 28th November 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    yep drove on copacted snow 2 day with my winters on and it was fine did not need to turn off the ASC or any thing just drove nice and steady and all was fine much better than R/F's
    New sig coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    yep drove on copacted snow 2 day with my winters on and it was fine did not need to turn off the ASC or any thing just drove nice and steady and all was fine much better than R/F's
    No tyres are probably better than runflats!

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    No tyres are probably better than runflats!
    your right about that and winters are better then normal in the snow as i have a van on norm's and it was sliding all over the palce
    New sig coming soon

well I struggled to get my car out the garage and around to the house this morning ready for work. A stupid wife in her Fiat 500 got stuck right in the road had to push her and tell her what to do so I could get past. She said if you get through then I'll try again, I thought dinnae bother hen but once I got going there was no way I was stopping again to help her. It was just the depth of snow my tyres couldn't get down to get a decent grip. Here is hoping the main roads will be ok.
    Cooper Coupe...

Delboy
    My car was much better in the snow yesterday than it was on Saturday - mainly because I didn't press the Sport button for change .

You live and learn.....

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Well got to work no bother however I was late due to a muppet in a Volvo who just blocked the whole road and we all had to help him up the hill so we could get out...!

I simply can't understand why people dont educate themselves on how to drive in snow because this one guy couldn't get out, it caused chaos for others.. Once the coast was clear I got out first time. Momentum is key as is NOT having a lead right foot !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Well got to work no bother however I was late due to a muppet in a Volvo who just blocked the whole road and we all had to help him up the hill so we could get out...!

I simply can't understand why people dont educate themselves on how to drive in snow because this one guy couldn't get out, it caused chaos for others.. Once the coast was clear I got out first time. Momentum is key as is NOT having a lead right foot !!
    Yes, you always get the numpties out in this weather - and normally they're driving rear-wheel drive BMWs too, which, to be honest, is friggin hilarious .

Momentum is certainly the key though. It's a real bummer when the lights turn to red at the top of a hill .

cooperchris
    Well another day off for me, Went out to my van at 6:10 an was trying till 6:35 to move it The snow is just to deep. Two cars got out there drive an soon as they hit the snow they just stopped, So had to help them push there cars back into the drive

Sent a tx msg to the boss an went back to bed

Momentum wasn't workin for me last night coming home. Three times i got stuck on the hills, Had to reverse then J turn back down the hill to start again. Then i saw a gritter going round the streets so follow that an just managed to reach the top.
    Last edited by cooperchris; 29th November 2010 at 12:02 PM.