Mini Cooper s R53 2005 Key FOB problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stoneyginger
    just bought this car to find that the spare key is not working, i can open and close the car but not use the buttons to open close and arm the alarm. Main key works fine but this one clearly has not been used in a long time so the battery is dead. Can you program the key back once charged easily or is it something that only a dealer could do?

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Dont know mate , Can you start the car with it, if so I'd try it out on a run and it may charge it. Right now I swap them about every few months to keep them going.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    When I test drove an R53, I had the same problem, and it was because the key had not been used, and it lost it's charge, and has to be re-done I think by the dealer. That's why they tell you to rotate the keys, but in the real world, not everyone does that.
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Car
    '55 plate Cooper S Checkmate
    now dont quote me on this..but..from what I remember my mate saying to re-programme it..you open the car sit in it..and press the unlock button twice..this is how they reprogramme it in the dealers and charge 80+ bucks for it! if that doesnt work then..its a new key if you NEED to replace it! happened to both keys on my cooper..never bothered replacing..was a pain in the back side though..untill I got the new car!

JC's Aberdeen charged me £16 for this last week, not that bad

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    JC's Aberdeen charged me £16 for this last week, not that bad
    £16??????????????????????? WTF!! I was well and truely DONE!! :(

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Fartin Martin View Post
    Ha ha, gutted, you said it mate!
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fartin Martin View Post
    It's cos I'm a handsome chap

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    It's cos I'm a handsome chap
    haha..oh ye ain't seen me pal..lol well ragin..awell..what can you do eh! older and wiser now..I think...

Stoneyginger
    i managed to reprogram the key last night with some information i googled if you like i shall share it :)

Step 1 take the main key used, place in the ignition and turn to just before engine start so dials are lit up - turn back off and remove from ignition then straight away press and hold unlock while pressing the lock button 3 times - however on the third press release the unlock button at the same time - nothing happens but quickly follow step 2

Step 2 take the second key that is not working and do exactly as step 1 however do not put it in the ignition just do the button sequence, the car will lock and unlock afterwards letting you know the key that was not working is now active.

Is there away to top this in a forum somewhere?
    Last edited by Stoneyginger; 23rd November 2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: update to what happened is now working