Dilema over Mabel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    R55 Cooper S Clubman
    This is Mabel, my classic Mini.....

She is in reasonable condition for a classic mini although at some point someone has given her a respray that is not the best, there are a couple of areas requiring attention but she has good potential. Cash is short at the moment so my dilema is - do I keep her, take my time and spend the money on her to bring her up to a good standard or do I sell her and spend the cash on my new Mini Cooper?

rawtor51
    Its a hard call, I do like the classic Mini alot, and these days its getting harder to find a good one,

TBH its entirely up to you, how much could you get if you sell up? will you be using it as a daily or not.

If it was me, i would take it off the road so your not spending money on it just to sit in the drive, cancell your insurance and SORN it, that way you can keep it and do it up or restore it at your lesure.

Car
    R56 Factory JCW
    To be honest I missed mine to begin with but what I don't miss is the constant sharp intake of breath at every MOT.

There was always something needed done and always a bit of rust bubbling up someplace it really started to wind me up lol.

So I sold Alfie and used him as a deposit towards my JCW lol... no regrets

From Factory JCW to Audi TT Quattro - Might be back one day!

Car
    R55 Cooper S Clubman
    She wouldn't be my daily run about, would only be used in summer for and for some fun. She is off the road now and is on sorn. Hubby is a mechanic to trade so the mechanical side of things is fine and wouldn't really be a problem. Its more the welding and bodywork that will cost a lot that and the fact that we dont have a garage to store her in at the moment.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    You will always be spending money on a classic, just depends on whether you are prepared to maintain it.
    Tough choice

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Easy choice really.... No garage = not much point in spending lots of dosh. If a classic isn't garaged then it will rot again within the year.. I love classics but they can be a money pit...

If your prepared to spend the money, then give her a nice restore, otherwise you will just resent the car from taking cash from your new mini, or holidays, or shoes ....

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I love the Classic but it was always out of the question as everyone I knew that had a Mini when I started driving was always under them, or heavily into welding and Cataloy. I watched two mini’s 1275 die in front of me growing up before I could drive and although we had fantastic fun ( or was that the petrol fumes out the twin Webbers) they were just to much work for anyone not mechanical minded.

But I have to say if I had a garage and a few spare Bob I’d have bought Mr King’s months back as It was a cracker and done right from the ground up.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    R55 Cooper S Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sav112 View Post
    I love the Classic but it was always out of the question as everyone I knew that had a Mini when I started driving was always under them, or heavily into welding and Cataloy. I watched two mini’s 1275 die in front of me growing up before I could drive and although we had fantastic fun ( or was that the petrol fumes out the twin Webbers) they were just to much work for anyone not mechanical minded.

But I have to say if I had a garage and a few spare Bob I’d have bought Mr King’s months back as It was a cracker and done right from the ground up.
    They are definitely fun cars! I used to have a classic mini clubman many moons ago when I passed my test, I loved that car and it was that car the got me hooked on the mini. Hubby (my boyfriend at the time) had one too and so did a few of our friends and we used to convoy round the town - our own mini "mini run" Them was the days!!!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Part of the adventure was if it would stop as well, never did like that push to test your brakes button............But loved every Min of it. So every time I'm near one I just think back.

I went in to the showroom when the very first BMW Mini went on sale, open and closed the door with that reassuring thud and thought I’m getting one, only took till 2008
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    R55 Cooper S Clubman
    Well a couple of months on and I have finally made a decision, Mabel will be off to her new home on Saturday. Someone at Scott's work wants her as a project to work on with his 14yr old son. It will be a bitter sweet day when she goes but I'm glad she is going to someone who has the time to spend fixing her up.