Countryman loses to both Skoda Yeti & Audi A3 in Autoexpress test!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazthemod View Post
    the darkened controls looks superb and much better than the current r56.
    Not been in to see the facelift cars but from the pic's on the net I liked the look of the Controls, I liked the old R50-53 ones.
    I think my current R56 look to kiddie and cheapen the car.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

We've grown our son as old as 8 without finding the Cooper too small....granted he's wee for his age (I haven't stunted his growth on purpose, honest!!). The Countryman just doesn't look 'mini' enough for me, but I might have to reconsider in the event of a growth spurt!
    R56 Cooper, pepper white/black, feck all extras.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    COUNTRYMAN Mrs Baz's Mum!!!!

I didn't 'get' the Countryman at all initially, but seeing it as an extension of the MINI range which will keep folks in the family... when they have a family, or just need the space, I've come around to the concept. Every other manufacturer seems to be bringing out some kind of 'Crossover' model, so putting aside all the 'is it or isn't it a real MINI?' arguments, it's a pretty important undertaking for MINI - and from what folks are saying, it seems to have retained enough MINI DNA to hopefully be a cut above the opposition. There will always be the Hatches and soon the Coupe/Roadster models to keep everyone happy, so I no longer see it as a threat to the MINI we all know and love.

However, the fact that a well-spec'd Countryman S would cost £30K still sticks in my throat a bit... that's just silly, and another argument for another day. I reckon the COOPER D version in 'mildly-optioned' form would be a good practical and stylish day-to day bet and wouldn't break the bank. The forthcoming Prodrive WRC version won't do it any harm either, but will no doubt spawn a legion of horrendous pseudo-performance look-a-likes which still won't be as good a drive as the S or JCW Hatch.... or you might be able to buy a 'proper' one from MINI - for about £60K.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Well there advertising is working, Chalk one Countryman down.

A Close Family friend who has had nothing other than Black sport Merc’s over the years is thinking about getting a new Countryman in Black. She’s only swaying about to get the 4X4 version or just the normal with all the toys and an Auto Box.

She loves my Mini but what sold it really is the four doors for the Kid’s. as the two door Merc was beginning to annoy. They just got a brand new 4x4 as they really do need it as they have been snowed in a few times and its almost a private road they live but as she said the cost jumps up with the 4x4 option.

But getting back on topic it’s the last person I’d have thought would be interested.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

The Dogfather
    I thought I would be interested but when I had a look I decided it wasn't for me, nothing majorly wrong with the Countryman but the boot wasn't big enough for our dogs so there's no point in changing