Monza 2010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fairy
    I thought it was a superb race - chuffed to bits when Alonso came out in front of Button after he'd pitted...there was no chance of Button challenging for first...he doesn't know how to be aggressive / overtake IMO...if Alonso had come out in front of Lewis...now that would have been entertaining :)
    Nico Rosberg did brilliant but he's never really mentioned and under-rated i think

Was gutted for Hamiton, but was his own fault

Bring on Singapore - only 10 sleeps to go til we leave!!!

Delboy
    Quote Originally Posted by minimad View Post
    what?? he crashed out because of total inexperience and is lucky hes not under invesigation for dangerous driving!
    What?! Inexperience? I think you need to be a little more objective with your comments .

Hamilton was a bit too aggresive and paid the price - and he admitted it too.

Alonso drove a good solid race (apart from screwing up the start, rear-ending Button at the chicane on lap 1 and going straight through the chicane late on) and had his pit crew to thank for gaining almost a second over Button's pit stop - just enough to get in front of Button as he exited the pits.

I thought Button was excellent, had a fantastic start and not only kept Alonso behind him for more than half of the race but also kept fairly close to him for the remainder of the race too. (All that with a damaged car thanks to Alonso .)

Pretty entertaining race all round IMO .

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogfather View Post
    You missed out a key word from that sentence. You could argue he's just like Schumacher who's 7 times World Champion and no longer good enough. Remember how he was outperformed by a rookie driver with the same car at Mclaren?

Unfortunately its impossible to accurately gauge how good driver's are because there's no way of knowing how much is down to the car and how much is down to the driver. What you can see are unforced errors and Alonso has made quite a few this season.
    Y'know I'm begining to think your not a big fan of Fernando

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Car
    2004 works s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crombers View Post
    Y'know I'm begining to think your not a big fan of Fernando
    i dont think any of these silver ferrari fans are fans of alonso??FORZA SCUDERIA FERRARI!!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    I would just like to point out that I thought Alonso would win the title this year :P Still don't think he's the best driver in F1. Maybe in his Renault days he was, but I think Lewis is a better more aggressive driver, Jenson is a good consistantly smooth driver, Vettel is consistantly an ass but very quick. To cause a bit more contraversy, I think Timo Glock is a tremendous driver, along with Niko Rosberg in two very average cars! In short, no Alonso is not the best driver in F1, 3rd best maybe?
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

Quote Originally Posted by N16SHP View Post
    I would just like to point out that I thought Alonso would win the title this year :P Still don't think he's the best driver in F1. Maybe in his Renault days he was, but I think Lewis is a better more aggressive driver, Jenson is a good consistantly smooth driver, Vettel is consistantly an ass but very quick. To cause a bit more contraversy, I think Timo Glock is a tremendous driver, along with Niko Rosberg in two very average cars! In short, no Alonso is not the best driver in F1, 3rd best maybe?
    I would put money on Niko Rosberg and Paul Di Resta being the Mercedes drivers next season
    Stephen & Allyson

euan
    Quote Originally Posted by N16SHP View Post
    I would just like to point out that I thought Alonso would win the title this year :P Still don't think he's the best driver in F1. Maybe in his Renault days he was,
    Assisted by poor team mates and "allegedly" illegal traction control? I'm sure I could win a world title with that kind of help ;-)

I read an interetsing article by Whitmarsh this week that summed up Alonso - in his season he had at McLaren, he'd gone to see Whitmarsh about why he was letting Hamilton race him and not just let him(Alonso) win. Whitmarsh responded - "I certainly said to a gentleman who is not sat here (Alonso) that if you want to win a world championship you have to look at yourself in the mirror and believe that you won it, that it has not been gifted."

Alonso went off in a huff, went to Renault and oh look, team orders mean he wins a race. Goes to Ferrari and, oh look, teams orders mean he's in contention for a world title.

I'll acknowledge he's a good driver, not the best in F1 by any way, but I'll respect him when he wins without anyone elses help. He behaves like a spoilt brat at the moment and, to be honest, fits right in at ferrari. Will be interesting next season, from what I've heard Massa doesn't like the tyres at the moment but the Pirelllis should suit his style more. If he is still at ferrari, who knows what can happen.

As for Hamilton - last season made him IMHO. He's come out of it a more complete driver, with a much better attitude and also, massively more driven as he knows he won't be in contention every year now.

Now, Monza - McLaren called it wrong with the tyres for Button, but he was never going to win as Alonso had the much faster car all weekend. McLaren didn't have a Monza spec wing like a lot of the other teams (Ferrari for example) so it would have been more interesting to see the outcome had they taken one, and worked it in with the F-duct. Could have been a blinding package.
    Last edited by euan; 16th September 2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Found the quote from Whitmarsh