Jcw suspension fitted - elfman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Glad your happy with the set up .................................................. ..........(personally I just wanna hear the thing, therfore booking a slot or two 'up yer jacksy' next weekend, sir ......................... just like old times , eh )

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

GCA3N
    Again what a right up. You have some good points and for someone like yourself who is very passionate about your car and more importantly have the funds to be able to do these superb modifications I think you have done the right thing. If money was no object there is loads of stuff I'd like to add not so much factory stuff (with exception too the jcw suspension which I kinda feel I might have missed out on now) but things like the recaros the carbon fibre bit ie the jcw spoiler, but as with most folks it's what you can afford isn't it. Anyway your car sounds amazing I am curious as to why ur insurance would go up now. Must just be the cost of the modification.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Crombers View Post
    Glad your happy with the set up .................................................. ..........(personally I just wanna hear the thing, therfore booking a slot or two 'up yer jacksy' next weekend, sir ......................... just like old times , eh )
    Crombers, you are one Big Sad Man. I just think you might be disappointed with the sound - remember, it sounds nice, but it ain't a patch on the old car. You're welcome to have a listen out on the road to see what you think. The 'Up yer Jacksy' bit does make me slightly concerned though. Just keep yer distance and keep yer mitts aff ma Werther's!

Greig - Re. insurance, I don't think the Aviva folks really understood the JCW Tuning Kit, even though I explained it in great detail about five times, so if they now want to add some dosh for the Suspension, that's OK by me. All that matters is that they have all the details and I'm legally covered.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Elfman what a fantastic and enjoyable writeup you have done. Realy pleased that you are enjoying your new bit of kit. I hope there is some before and after pictures on the way to show the new stance the elfmobile has
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Thanks William!

The more I drive it, the more I'm surprised that despite it being very stiff (oo-er missus etc), it seems to be less 'harsh' than the Sports Suspension - almost as if the rough edges have been smoothed off, and it feels a lot more 'planted' on the road. I know a really crappy road will still show up some deficiencies, but on most surfaces it seems to be a lot more 'secure' feeling. I noticed that previously at high speeds, it was just a bit uncomfortable and not totally happy with what it was being asked to do. This is a very similar feeling I had when I swapped my R53 Sports Plus for the JCW suspension - although I reckon the R56 Sports setup is a bit more forgiving than the older car's. I wonder what it would be like with non-runflats, but then it might be set up specifically to incorporate the dynamics of the runflats.

The suspension now seems to have caught up with the engine, and you feel as if you can deploy the power with a lot more confidence that the car will react positively, rather than the wee bit of 'floatiness' it used to exhibit. Even though it's only lowered by about 10mm, it sits better and there's no 'tip-toes' feeling when pressing on. I think the previous combination of the ride height and hard runflats didn't do it any favours. This setup seems to make the tyres 'work' the road a bit better, rather than sometimes seeming to skip over it.

There seems to be no 'slack' at all now (not that there was much before!). It's one of these things that your suspension feels pretty good - as mine did - but a few subtle and well-matched components can certainly improve it. Just a wee point - my R53 with the JCW Suspension ALWAYS used to skelp one particular speedbump on my way home, and this one doesn't. So the ride height is either slightly higher, or the front plastic lip isn't as deep as the old car. I think the new car has started higher, so the 10mm drop is still high enough to clear the bumps. It's be interesting to compare the standard ride heights for the R53 and the R56...

I'll need to find out how to post photos - never got around to sorting out that part. I'll have to take some new ones ASAP when I get the chance and some of you guys can give me a hand to post them. Is there a max. size for images on the website? All my 'before' pics of the car are quite Hi-Def and large size. In the meantime, check my Sig Pic and imagine it 10mm lower!
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 9th September 2010 at 02:07 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Thanks William!

The more I drive it, the more I'm surprised that despite it being very stiff (oo-er missus etc), it seems to be less 'harsh' than the Sports Suspension - almost as if the rough edges have been smoothed off, and it feels a lot more 'planted' on the road. I know a really crappy road will still show up some deficiencies, but on most surfaces it seems to be a lot more 'secure' feeling. I noticed that previously at high speeds, it was just a bit uncomfortable and not totally happy with what it was being asked to do. This is a very similar feeling I had when I swapped my R53 Sports Plus for the JCW suspension - although I reckon the R56 Sports setup is a bit more forgiving than the older car's. I wonder what it would be like with non-runflats, but then it might be set up specifically to incorporate the dynamics of the runflats.

The suspension now seems to have caught up with the engine, and you feel as if you can deploy the power with a lot more confidence that the car will react positively, rather than the wee bit of 'floatiness' it used to exhibit. Even though it's only lowered by about 10mm, it sits better and there's no 'tip-toes' feeling when pressing on. I think the previous combination of the ride height and hard runflats didn't do it any favours. This setup seems to make the tyres 'work' the road a bit better, rather than sometimes seeming to skip over it.

There seems to be no 'slack' at all now (not that there was much before!). It's one of these things that your suspension feels pretty good - as mine did - but a few subtle and well-matched components can certainly improve it. Just a wee point - my R53 with the JCW Suspension ALWAYS used to skelp one particular speedbump on my way home, and this one doesn't. So the ride height is either slightly higher, or the front plastic lip isn't as deep as the old car. I think the new car has started higher, so the 10mm drop is still high enough to clear the bumps. It's be interesting to compare the standard ride heights for the R53 and the R56...

I'll need to find out how to post photos - never got around to sorting out that part. I'll have to take some new ones ASAP when I get the chance and some of you guys can give me a hand to post them. Is there a max. size for images on the website? All my 'before' pics of the car are quite Hi-Def and large size. In the meantime, check my Sig Pic and imagine it 10mm lower!
    If you need a hand posting pictures then give me a shout or if you want email me them and ill post them on your behalf. Just set up a photobucket account and and load the picys up then its jst a simple case of copy and paste
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Cheers William, that would be good of you.

Been wanting to do a wee 'Gallery' for a while, and have never got around to it with any of my MINIs. I'll try to get some pics done this weekend (is there a size limit for each image?) and to keep it simple, if you can PM your Email I'll send them for you to put on the site. I'll maybe get around to the Photobucket thing, but if you can do it this time it'll mean I can get the pics on-site while I actually still have the car!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Max size is 1024 pixels on any side

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    elfman i can pop round and show you how to do it if you want and all i ask in return is a wee seat in the passanger side down the clyde side
    New sig coming soon

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Cheers William, that would be good of you.

Been wanting to do a wee 'Gallery' for a while, and have never got around to it with any of my MINIs. I'll try to get some pics done this weekend (is there a size limit for each image?) and to keep it simple, if you can PM your Email I'll send them for you to put on the site. I'll maybe get around to the Photobucket thing, but if you can do it this time it'll mean I can get the pics on-site while I actually still have the car!
    Not a prob Euan PM in the post.